Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Ice Cap

status-seeker

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and am a big Sonic fan. A few days ago I discovered Project Chaos, and have been listening to it pretty much non-stop. I got Reason 3.0 and started fooling around with it a bit, and decided it would be time to give my own remix a go. So I got to listening some of the original songs, and couldn't really decide what song I wanted to go with. In the end I decided to take Ice Cap, because it was probably one of my favorites in the old days.

Anyways, I was hoping to get some feedback here.. so here's the link: http://www.status-seeker.com/Ice%20Capsule.mp3

Also, I'm actually a drummer (and have been for 6 years).. maybe you'll notice. :P

Well i can def tell u've done some music before.

Piano needs an echo in the first section. The counterpoint melody is too soft. Either pump up the volume or put a scream4 over it and only turn on the "body" to make it stand out more.

That wood block sound in the break downs needs to go away. It's sitting there in the foreground and doesn't sound right. Use a bassline instead maybe. That wood block really doesn't fit well. Arrangement wise you've positioned it correctly but it just doesn't fit with the soundscape.

Oh and change up the melody, explore the dynamic range up and down the scale. Get the melody moving faster from thought thought. Also think about introducing a new sound to play the melody in the later sections.

Really good start though. Keep it up.

this sounds cool. however it is very similar to the original. the bass line, the clicks, then melody and the keyboard run thing that you got going on top are pretty much the same as the original tune. switch-up the bass line, do some variation with the main melody, maybe change the tempo even. this isnt bad for your first time remixing but you gotta make the song your own. nice drum pattern but switch it up a little more too. keep the fills though :) good stuff man, do whatcha do.

Woah, you guys are pretty fast.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'll definitely make good use of it for future creations.

As for the variations part, it was kind of a personal choice. I wanted to have it sound like the original, only with slight modifications. I was also planning to go for this whole symphonic intro thing. You know, the whole orchestra. But after working on the whole song for some time I decided to quickly wrap it up.

Not a very smart thing to do I know. But since this was my first time I just wanted to get it out and see what would happen.

But I'm already inspired and motivated to get working on some new stuff though. It's really cool to do, although I'm more comfortable with just playing things live. Also, the whole dance (I don't even know if that's the correct genre) thing is not something I'm very familiar with. I'm actually a rock/metal guy mainly, but listen (and love) practically everything.