*NO* Gun.Smoke 'The Wild East'

Liontamer

Name: Vitus

Game Remixed: Gunsmoke

Song: Title Theme:

Remix Name: The Wild East

Comments: The Gunsmoke theme run through some tribal drumming, chanting and electronic squelches. Enjoy.\

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/gunsmoke.zip - Track 1

Interesting approach. The soundscape was flooded and muddy, but I give you props for going crazy with it. Decent power to the beats, and some decent synth effects in there. Tribal chanting at :49 didn't come through clearly at all, and simply cluttered up the track; quite the sonic soup ya got here. :-) Kept going for a while without referencing the Gun.Smoke source before bringing it back with an 8-bit lead at 1:59, complete with funky effects on the lead. Props for using effects to try and personalize the theme.

Percussion changeup at 2:39 was really sloppy, and the textures got way worse, with shrill sustained synth leads that lasted long past their sell-by date until 3:00. 3:09 saw a shift to some new beatwork with the sampled tribal chanting returning. Wow, what a mess at 3:30 with all those sounds. They didn't harmonize well, and the production lead to yet another fugly, soupy mess until the end.

You've got some of the right ideas in terms of trying to personalize the presentation. I thought you relied on the drum grooves and sampled chants too much to carry the brunt of the track. The melodic lead could have used some further fleshing out, either by layering it with more stuff or supplying some countermelodic writing; anything to give it some more meat. On the production side, you need to learn how to better separate your sounds so that they don't mush together to readily. Decent stuff, but it needs a lot more work. Make use of the ReMixing and Works forums here to learn more and obtain more feedback in the future.

NO

• 2 months later...

there's a lot about this track that is quite interesting. The instrumentation is really interesting, and i think the approach you took, of building the track around an interesting instrumentation, has some merit. The crunchyness works, and i love the old indian guy samples.

However, the arrangement leaves something to be desired. The groove is way too grating in the beginning to get away with being so repetitive. The track is repetitive in general, and the changes largely come from changes in instrumentation rather than development of musical ideas.

NO

I get the feeling that the power from those drums comes from the fact that they're loops more than any particular programming talent by the mixer in question. Most of this mix utilises good sounding loops and samples with little actually arrangement ideas involved.

As I've said in other votes, we all start somewhere. You'll want to work on developing mixes that are entirely your own, utilising individual samples rather than entire loops. No matter how crap they sound initially. That way you can at least gain the confidence and experience in generating something good from your own work.

NO