*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Depths Unchained'

Liontamer

Not too familiar with the source...

I'd say the piano in the intro is very shrill...i'd pull down the highs and balance the mids. Halfway through and there's been relatively little going on in the composition. Glitch effects notwithstanding, there isn't a ton of variation.

Just before the 4 minute mark, you're finally doing some interesting things harmonicially, but they are really only hinted at in the cello. More development needed.

Piano outro is mechanically sequenced. More interesting rhythms and voicings needed.

but yeah, over-reliance on the glitch effects.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "Aquatic Ambiance" (dkc-08.spc)

Yeah, for the most part, there's little interpretation of the "Aquatic Ambiance" melody in the picture. There's some good concepts in terms of adding some new parts to interact with the source, but there's not enough of that by a long shot, plus that doesn't excuse a lack of interpretation there without some really personalized/unique sound and production choices. Aside from the production issues Vigilante had, the drums at 2:27 were ultra flimsy, the tone of the kit not seeming to fit the overall mood and texture.

Tough break with this theme, as everyone tends to really love keeping it pretty similar, both melodically and sonically, to the original. A glimmer of hope at 4:22 with less than a minute to go via the new piano chords underneath the melody, but it never developed into anything, instead REALLY abruptly petering out at 4:54. Nah, you gotta have something more substantial than that ending.

Needs more melodic interpretation, additional support instrumentation ideas, more complex textures from 2:27-3:43, cleaner production, and a stronger more satisfying resolve of an ending. Not bad for a first sub. It at least shows that you do have some ability to rearrange a piece; you just need to do more of it in order to have a better shot in the future.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Such a classic, beautiful source tune.

Mix has some interesting ideas, some of which are pulled off okay, and some, well, walking the plank. This song is really devoid of much ebb or flow. The percussion never really morphed into anything tangible or accentual. Haha, the "Gill_metal" sample (don't remember the exact name) is the same one I used in my Metroid II mix, haha, good times.

Interesting gating and slicing applied throughout, for example, the section from 1:55 to 2:27, but the section is overall still pretty hollow and the texture very thin. The cymbals suffer some loss due to overcompression and volume issues. I always hate that. Cymbal crashes are always the first thing to get the sonic shaft, so to speak, when every instrument is trying to be heard.

The mix seems to lack development at this point. It kind of presents a few ideas, and then just, changes to another idea without the first idea truly realizing it's potential and fulfilling it. The piano ending was kind of weak... The final chord did not fit, I repeat, DID NOT FIT AT ALL.

Not a bad sub, I've heard far worse, but this could also be better. Keep at it, and good luck, Mike.

NO