*NO* Mega Man 4 'Diamond Tip'

Liontamer

NOTE: This is a remix for the Mega Man IV remix project (http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4921)

Accordingly, in the event that this remix is approved, please refrain from posting it until the completion of the project. However, if it's rejected, please post the decision publicly, so the song can be further refined for both the project and OCR.

contact info:

remixer name: jmr

email: jeffreymr @ gmail.com

userid: 6406

remixer name: Random Hero

email: cc971751 @ hotmail.com

userid: 5857

remix info:

title: Diamond Tip

game: Mega Man IV

song: Drill Man stage (track 4 in the NSF hosted at OCR)

This remix was started back when I first read that GaMeBoX was planning to start a MMIV project (which is now being managed by Dafydd). Unlike other tracks I've worked on, the majority of arrangement for this one fell into place fairly quickly. Things were going smoothly until I reached the 2:55 mark, when I hit some sort of writers block.

This is where my brother, Ryan (Random Hero), came in and saved the day. After a night of working on it, the majority of the ending came to be. Even when we had reached the point where I considered the remix completed, he was still coming up with great ideas for the song. I think his contributions to the track are more than significant enough to warrant this being considered as a collaboration. Without him, this track would probably still be lacking an ending.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it,

-jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman4.zip - Track 4 ("Drill Man")

Not exactly the most melodic source theme I've ever heard, it's not particularly catchy. But I've been proven wrong before, as some people really know how to transform these tunes.

Opens up super empty, but I'm willing to see where it builds up to. Melody arrives at :17 with a pretty quiet lead that could stand out more. :35-:42 has some really rigid plucked string sequencing that just sounds awkward. Seems like :44 is supposed to be the high point of activity, but the track just feels bare and dynamically flat. Countermelodic writing from 1:01-1:15 felt REALLY aimless. The percussion writing seems aight, but it doesn't fill out the background enough and doesn't really lend any movement to the piece. Can't articulate my concerns there with more precision, but hopefully some other Js can elaborate. On the plus side, the overall sound is very clean and distinct; you just need to achieve a better balance with your parts.

I heard some string pads starting at 1:38, but they're barely audible; perhaps try punching those up to thicken up the piece. Right now, this is way too empty-sounding. The string accents from 1:58-2:13, as well as the countermelodic ideas afterward are also practically a non-factor due to their volume. By around 2:40 when I paid attention to the drums, they were dragging, so the changeup and slowdown after 2:48 was welcome. Didn't think the tempo change was as effective as it could have been. If the first half of the track had been more energetic, then the changeup would have been much more effective. Regardless, by 3:34, the arrangement just finds itself back into the same tempo and every level as the previous stuff only with some different (slightly muddy) sounds; in other words, just more of the same.

Not too much to say about the arrangement, as it's all solid on that level. This is a solid base, but this needs better balance, more energy, and more effective use of contrast. Get some more drive into the percussion work, push up some supporting elements to prevent things from sounding so barren. You need something more dynamic. I'm not saying to add some over-the-top breakbeats or make the first half into trance, but the energy level ineffectively hovers at one spot most of the way. Keep working on this, bros.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 2 months later...

This is a fairly uninspired and straightforward remix of one of the more forgettable tracks in the Megaman soudtracks. At this point it seems like the composers had a sack of cliche's they simply arranged in different orders. EIT!

Problems with the remix are that it's dynamically flat and unenergetic, and it doesnt do very much with the source. It's just vanilla.

NO

This track is devoid of energy, and I've gotta attribute that to the production. Specifically, the drum and bass samples are blah, and the synths are mixed poorly.

Investing in some decent headphones wouldn't be a bad move. Some of the leads are waaaaaay too quiet at times, and the strings especially are pushed too far into the background.

Two other big issues are the flat drumbeat, and a bassline that doesn't drive the piece at all. It all comes off like a soda that's been left out too long.

That being said, this isn't the worst sub we've seen, and you seem to have a good idea of what this whole arrangement thing is about. Keep honing your production skills, and work a little more on how you structure your arrangement from a dynamics persepctive (this thing hung at the same intensity for 95% of the mix).

I have a feeling your next submission is gonna be substantially better. Keep at it.

NO