Offering free web/graphic design to OCR peeps.

Villainelle

Hi guys. If this is in the wrong forum, my apologies.

I'm looking to flesh out my design portfolio a bit with more contemporary work, and I'd prefer to work for people who share common interests. So, do you need a web site, album art, logo etc. designed? I'm offering to do it for free.

Check out my current portfolio here: http://leah.johnsandford.org/

If you like what you see, get in touch. This will not cost you anything, regardless of what you use it for (you can use it to promote a commercial organization etc.; you cannot resell or redistribute my work, though). My main condition is that I will include the work in my portfolio when it's done.

Obviously I can't take on tons of projects at once, nor will I be inclined to do everything that's requested, but please, feel free to contact me with your ideas/needs.

Thanks!

Having spent the past four months job searching in the web design/development industry, I'd like to give a bit of advice if I may.

Commercial experience means a lot more to employers than volunteer work like you're offering here. Ask around with your family/friends and see if they know anyone who needs a website/anything done. Or, you can present yourself to some local small businesses as well, and offer a really competitive price. Once they see how cheaply you're willing to do it for, along with the quality of work already in your portfolio, they should be glad to take you up on your offer.

It'd also be better as well to move a bit out of your comfort zone in terms of content. As you said, you'd prefer to do some stuff with people who share common interests, but it'd probably be better for you in the long run to get experience with a wide variety of clients.

Anyway, good luck with it all :)

I've done freelance design work before, I know how it is. :D But I don't have anything recent to show, and it's easier to produce work per guidelines than to come up with it off the cuff. Of course experience counts, but networking with your potential clientele and a healthy-sized portfolio are assets too. Plus, I figure it's nice to help out the people who make stuff that I enjoy. Thanks though. :P