*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Wind Fish'

Liontamer

Hi,

this is a ReMix from Link'S Awakening : Windfish

ReMixer Name : Ejis

-----------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zelda.zip - Tracks 47 & 4

Some of the sounds were decent/serviceable, like the woodwind (that was a bit piercing though). The piano sounded pretty fake, but the writing was half decent. The drums really dragged out after a while; the writing on 'em wasn't interesting and didn't seem to fit the texture of the piece. Using what sounds like a rock kit wasn't a good idea.

The melody could have used more audible support; as is, the melodic stuff was straightforward and relatively thin. Electric guitar synth at 2:05 was frankly awful; static sequencing, terrible tone, almost always a poor choice unfortunately. Bringing it back at 4:09 was no good. :'-(

There were some decent original sections (e.g. 1:43, 2:56) that pieced together well with the arranged source tunes. Transition into "House by the Bay" at 3:33 felt like an awkward key change. Weird ending choice with guitar feedback.

On the whole, the track sounds like it doesn't know what genre it wants to be. Quite a few blisteringly loud sections. Textures were weak, not helped by the writing, and the arrangement of the source tunes wasn't interpretive enough.

NO

• 2 months later...

a few things:

* if you're gonna have a forte section that incorporates a drum kit you've GOT to have a bassline supporting it. otherwise it sounds awkward.

* i'm hearing a LOT of clicks and pops all over this track.

* the reverb is WAY too wet, and the release is too long.

* strings + piano + two electric guitars requires a lot of eq'ing to make work. its all blurring together in the soundfield into an incomprehensible slough.

Your production skill needs to come a long way before you'll be close to "the bar." Sorry to be blunt, but this sounds pretty bad. You've got some good ideas, but don't have the skill yet to present them well. Work on that.

NO

The picccolo was very piercing indeed. The file has a rather blatant edit at 1.05 or something, I'm not quite sure but it seems to cut out then restart - if it was an edit, then it sounded very wrong.

The guitar, like the piccolo, is at this very piercing frequency, much like an alarm peaks at the 1-4khz mark. The samples themselves are not too hot, and would need a lot of eq to make them sound good. The mp3 that I have cuts off at 5.20.

This submission has several issues - production, sound quality and encoding, all of them combined being so great that it is impossible to go into issues of arrangement.

I would recommend that the remixer keep listening actively to music, find some better sounding samples/sounds, and keep practising.

NO