*NO* Faxanadu 'Sword of Fire'

Liontamer

Contact info:

Remixer: Tjalve

E-Mail: gager@boremail.com

User id: Not registred in the forum. Sorry.

Remix info:

Game remixed: Faxanadu

Song remixed: Title screen. (didnt find any better name)

Comments: This is a track that is made with Propellerhead Reason. The inspiration to this song comes from the NES itself. Im veary satisfied with the increadlble music that could be done on this machine. Since there was no real drums and samples then. the songs are based on a good melody and this song has a really good melody. I have tried to bring it into the 21 centuray with this mix. Its a dance/club version. I think its strage that noone has remixed this track befor, because its really beautiful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/faxanadu.zip - Track 1

Some very bread-and-butter sounds in play. Never a fan of the mechanically-sequenced piano playing single notes (:00), as it always sounds stiff. Good escalation at :14. Claps from :21-:27 were way too exposed and could use some effects, though they might as well not have been there if they were gonna be such a brief non-factor.

The meat of the arrangement picked up at :28. The genre adaptation was there, but aside from that, the structure, tempo and feel is the same as the original. There was also something missing in the track to provide more drive, despite the overall good level of energy. Clap at 1:17 again needed more meat.

1:34 dropped the beats out for a more ethereal feel, with some slight variations on the main theme, before returning the dance groove at 2:05 and rehashing :30's section verbatim until 3:09 (aside from some slight variation from 2:33-2:52, compared to :57-1:16 before).

3:09 dropped the beats out briefly again before they came back for the last big section at 3:24. Key change at 3:24 provided some contrast, but the arrangement didn't have any new developments aside from that. 4:11 subtracted elements going to the finish.

There's some decent work with dynamics in terms of the structure, but the overall arrangement felt underdeveloped because the verses were are essentially the same with each iteration. On top of that, I didn't feel that the interpretation ideas were thorough beyond adapting the original to a club/dance format; more could have be done here on the interpretation level, though there are aspects in the right general direction. The energy is good (though there's something missing here to drive this along), so work on further developing and personalizing the arrangement. Sign up on the forums and take advantage of the ReMixing and Works forums for this and future works. Good base so far.

NO

• 2 months later...

The submitting artist has been checking up on this one. Let's get more votes, please.

Hi man. Sorry for using myspace tocontact you but i could find any e-mail adress or anything else that I could use. I was jsut wondering how long the submissions should be on the "to be judged" list. My submission (Faxandau, Sword of Fire) has been on that list for over 2 months now. Anything wrong?
Nothing's wrong. We just have many submissions in the queue and not enough time to get through them all as quickly as we'd like. I wish I could provide more details, but it depends on other judges getting around to voting on your particular piece. I'll do what I can to nudge some people. Sorry for the wait so far. - Larry
Hey.

No problem. Just wanted to know that i havent "fallen trough the cracks". Have a listen to the song on my myspace page if you like.

Thanx again.

/G

Some of this is rather cookie cutter. The piano sound wasn't of very good quality in the intro - other than that this has a good energy level and the production is ok. However, for me there needs to be some more flair put into this in order for it to pass, there doesn't seem to be anything to set this apart from the rest. Apart from the original being clubbed up, there isn't much more to this. I'm not saying it is the original with just a 4/4 beat on top, but this feels undeveloped in many ways.

In order to provide more energy and drive, perhaps the remixer could add more prominent/rhythmic hats and a sharper more defined clap with the main beat.

More variation and original content would move this up a few notches. Not bad, but needs more.

NO

I agree with LT and Malcos. Beyond the genre adaptation, this needs more variety and more original ideas brought to the table.

The structure of the song is pretty good (probably because it follows the structure of the original so closely). There just isn't enough interpretation of the source going on.

NO