*NO* Star Ocean: Blue Sphere 'Fayth'

Liontamer

So it is very rare that a quantized solo part, especially as an intro or outro, will not sound mechanical and akward. A lot of this track is somewhat poorly written. The drums rarely change at all, and harp lines that consist of constant 8th notes don't sound musical at all. This type of thing happens a lot. You'll get a line that you like, and you'll repeat it ad-nauseum until i want the room to stop spinning. Stepping back, I'd say the larger problem is that you need more space in your writing.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/sobs.zip - Track 26

I only overtly recognized :26-:36 from the source being arranged in here from 1:15-1:53 (then later in the background). To be on the safe side, you need to clarify how you're incorporating the source material in your submission, otherwise we may have trouble making the connections. When in doubt, the burden is on you to prove how you've arranged your stated source tune.

Yeah, I don't know why you sequenced the harp so tightly; it just sounds completely fake, plus the velocites being so similar from note-to-note only help to stifle the energy. The beatwork, when in play, is way too basic; at least there's some meat on the bass kicks, but the overall texture is too simple.

I did like the strings and glassy arpeggiated notes serving to pad out the back. Simple but effective ideas, conceptually. Strings were too mechanical-sounding with the sequencing though. Same issues with the brass at 1:54 & 2:13; completely unnatural sounding with weird attacks.

I think the overall structure is half-decent, moreso than Vigilante's giving it credit for. Despite more obvious issues like the rigid sequencing and boring/repetitive drums, there's a modicum of attention paid to dynamics and instrumental variation with the melody, so those are a step in the right direction.

In my opinion, your primary short term goal should be to learn how to sequence your parts for a more natural sound. If you aren't doing so already, use the ReMixing and Works forums for questions and fan feedback before submitting in the future.

NO

• 1 month later...

Vig and Larry pretty much nailed it... proper sequencing of "real" instruments is really important, especially if you're going to be using the samples in a very exposed context. If you check the Guides & Tutorials subforum in the "Remixing" category, check out my Compendium topic - I wrote a tutorial on this very subject. You might also look at the drum sequencing tutorial, as the drums here feel sort of out of place. Also consider the "flow", or dynamic structure, of your mix. If you skip around in the mix, the texture is very similar throughout. The same rhythms, the same instruments, roughly the same volume. Try to change this up by adding new layers as the song goes on, making some parts more dramatic and expressive, and others pulled back in comparison. The whole song should be going in some sort of direction, rather than just functioning like background music.

I can make some vague connections to the original but overall I think it could be a little more obvious/overt. Also, the original had more than one section of melody and harmony. This mix seems to revolve around the same chords, riffs, and melody repeated throughout. The whole first part of the original does not seem to have been touched until the very end. Why not expand upon and interpret all parts of the original track? I am sure you will like the results.

You did have some good arrangement ideas, as Larry pointed out. Keep at it and use all the resources available on our forums to improve your work. Good luck!

NO