SimCity4 Issue

Dyne

I bought SimCity4 today, and I'm having an issue where it's telling me that it needs the "Play Disc" in the drive. Well, I've had the disc in there all along, but it's still not working. So what gives?

Suggestions?

First, have you tried both disks? SimCity 4 comes with two disks, and if I recall correctly, it'll play using either of them. Also, which version did you get? If you got Deluxe, I believe the play disk is disk 2, not 1 (might be this way for all versions; I haven't looked in a long time). Try the other disk if you haven't already.

Second, if that doesn't work, do you have any emulators (Alcohol 120%, Daemon, etc.) running? Sometimes games won't work properly if something like that is active. Turn off any virtual drives and shut the program off and see if that works.

Third, try downloading any updates off of the SimCity 4 website and installing them.

Fourth, I've heard turning off the Autorun feature and running it manually (double-clicking on the disk drive with the game in My Computer) sometimes works.

Fifth, did you upgrade to Vista? If so, try updating the device drivers from the manufacturer's site. Vista may have loaded its own device drivers by default, which may not support your drive properly.

If none of the above work... well, there's always EA Tech Support... :-?

I'll try thinking of other things for you to try if those don't resolve the issue.

Let's see...updated the game, didn't fix it. Didn't update to Vista yet, probably won't for a while yet. Tried disabling autorun, didn't work either. Also, tried both discs, doesn't work, it's Deluxe Edition. I don't have any emulators running. Used to have GENs installed, but haven't reinstalled it yet.