*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Launch Phases'

Liontamer

MY CONTACT INFO

My remixer name - GorillaMatic

My Email - always_into_action@yahoo.com

REMIX INFO

Game - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)

Original song title - Launch Base

Link to original -

Had a lot of fun making this. I've always wanted to do videogame music, hopefully I'll be able to bring more to your site. Got a couple more in the works. Enjoy! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - Launch Base Zone 1

Right off the bat, a lot of the sounds are pretty mechanically sequenced. Keyboard at :33 sounded ultra-flimsy and fake. Cool ideas at 1:07 arranging the "Launch Base" chorus. IMO, either the verse or the chorus section could use more drive with a more overtly melodic section, rather than sticking strictly with an unassuming groove the whole way through. But that's just my opinion; if these sounds were refined to sound less robotic, this would be a lot stronger and might not need much change in terms of the overall pacing.

Good move back into the main verse of the source at 1:41. Repeats :33's section verbatim at 1:57. At this rate, you were just trying to coast on the previous ideas with 0 evolution in the arrangement or sound choices made, which was boring. Ending at 3:22 was a decent enough idea, but the transition was too sudden; you might want to make the transition a bit more gradual.

You have a decent enough interpretive and personalized groove, but you need to develop the arrangement further. Don't use 1.5 minutes' worth of ideas, then loop them into a 3.5 minute mix; things just drag out. Keep working on refining your production skills via the ReMixing forum and get more fan feedback before you send stuff down the pipe by posting your work-in-progress at our Works forum. Promising stuff if you continue in an evolving, creative direction and work on increasing the sound quality.

NO

• 1 month later...
Hello sir,

I am contacting you in reguard to my remix I have submitted titled Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Launch Phase" by me...Gorillamatic. Its been in the judging process for a long while now and I was wondering if you guys were getting close to reviewing it. I am very excited to see what you judges think, since I am sort of new to the music thing. Anyhow, if you could get back to me about the status of my submitted remix, I would greatly appriciate it.

He has inquired within, so let's get some more votes.

Alright, right off the bat the instruments are harsh. The bass is boomy, the strings are dry and grating, and the lead synth is harsh. A lot of the attacks and releases are mushy, whether because of hte sample or because of delay/reverb. The delay on the piano is just too much.

On the plus side, the arragement has some interesting ideas. The original is recognizable, but often secondary to original material. Unfortunately, the arrangement is very repetitive, crowded, and suffers from akward partwriting.

NO

The execution of this mix is a really weak point. Some parts are wet w/ reverb and delay, like many of the leads, while the piano and bongos are up front and dry. The trance sounds don't really fit with the R&B/hip hop drum kit. In fact, across the board, I get the feeling that many of the sounds do not gel together. Try to decide on a single style you are going for and then find instruments and sounds to match. Is this sort of caribbean reggae? Trance? Downtempo electronica? The instrument choices are inconsistent, and as a result, sound messy. A more interesting beat as the song goes on would not have hurt, such as one with more kicks and snare hits, some fills, maybe toms here and there, or even just additional loops layered on top.

Larry/Vig addressed what I had to say with regards to the structure and arrangement of the piece. You have some good ideas, but they're just looped repeatedly instead of developed and expanded. The abrupt ending doesn't help.

All things considered this isn't all that bad, so just keep working at it and visiting our helpful forums (plus #ocrwip on IRC) to improve.

NO