Halo- Captain Keyes' Last Stand

ZKB

I've been working for a while now on my first OC Remix (most of the time was spent deciding what song to remix). The song is "The Maw" from Halo: Combat Evolved. It's not nearly close to being finished, but this should give people an idea on how it will sound. Comments or suggestions? Oh and don't bother telling me to fix the Clarinet, because I'm already on it.

http://media.putfile.com/Captain-Keyes-Last-Stand-OC-Remix-Demo-NOT-FINISHED

I'd personally say the guitar is panned a little far to the right, okay, all the way to the right. This mix could probably have a lot more to it, it's a little bland, a little short and doesn't show to much musical expression. Just let the song take you for a ride, oh yeah, and fix the clarinet. :-D

That could help but I also think it's a bit too loud, I like the guitar a lot, how about turning down the clarinet a bit and let the guitar shine through (make sure you pan the guitar quite a bit nearer to center aswell). I like the song, but I still think there needs to a lot more to it. Try letting the song play and going through your sound/instrument library and play around a little bit with some sounds you think might work, if you like it then add it in, hopefully with one of them you'll get an idea that can lead you into a new section. This mix needs fooling around with, sink some time into that and then worry about mastering it later. Hope that helps, :smile:

I've been working on a little chord loop with a guitar playing staccato D minor and C chords. I'm still working on a Clarinet lead over that, and I have a possible ending. Also, as a side note, a few guitar notes and a clarinet note at the end got cut off when I exported the mp3...so ignore that. So yah, how's it coming along?

http://media.putfile.com/Still-not-done-53

It's an interesting start, though I do have a few bits of criticism...

1. I would invest in some better sample libs if you can. The sound you've got going could be fixed with some EQ and verb, but it will still sound a bit synthy (which isnt always a bad thing!)

2. Speaking of reverb, convolution reverb would do wonders for this, look into that. There's a free convo reverb out there called SIR which isn't all half bad and will run in any host seqeuncer like cakewalk.

3. Rather than programming every note, play some of the instruments by hand, it will give them some more life. Not every film score out there is played perfectly and without error... it adds character.. just listen to any number of Jerry Goldsmith scores.

4. Counterpoint. You need some other instrumentation going on underneath the main themes you've got going. At the moment it's coming accross as a bit bland to me and needs some more instrument love.

5. Rather than using a wind instrument for the lead motif, I would suggest a solo trumpet.. or maybe even a solo french horn. If played / programmed correctly with the correct articulation it could sound really killer.

Keep working on it, it sounds like its coming along though just needs some more power, counterpoint... and mastering.

Rich