DVD Burning Aspect Ratio Issues

atmuh

OK well I burned a DVD of widescreen video files and when I play it on a tv (4:3 TV) it plays the video in 4:3 format, cutting off the sides. When I play it on my computer, which has a widescreen monitor, it plays normal and happy.

I tried burning in both formats, 16:9 and 4:3, and neither worked. Can someone tell me how do it so that it always plays in 16:9 regardless of the TV it's on?

I am using Nero 6 Vision Express.

If I remember right, there is a "TV safe" viewing area that you can work with when creating videos. I'm not sure if this applies in this case, but when I was using Premiere, it gave you an overlay showing what portion of the viewing screen would be viewable on a television. I'm not familiar with Nero Vision, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the picture to be cut off if you're already using 4:3 ratio. Have you checked whether or not the top of the screen is also cut off when using 4:3? Or is it just the sides?

I've used Nero for authoring DVDs before, and never had an issue. The fact that it displays properly on the computer leads me to believe that the problem is with your DVD player. You might want to check your DVD player's settings. Most of the DVD players I've seen have some sort of aspect ration adjustment. There are usually 3 options: 16:9, 4:3 pan and scan, and 4:3 letterbox. You want the letter box option.

How does the DVD display in other players? What DVD software are you using to play it?

I've used Nero for authoring DVDs before, and never had an issue. The fact that it displays properly on the computer leads me to believe that the problem is with your DVD player. You might want to check your DVD player's settings. Most of the DVD players I've seen have some sort of aspect ration adjustment. There are usually 3 options: 16:9, 4:3 pan and scan, and 4:3 letterbox. You want the letter box option.

How does the DVD display in other players? What DVD software are you using to play it?

tried on 3 different dvd players and on all different settings

same crap