Malcos! Prodcers conference!?

Rofl! Yeah you're right, I did say I'd make a post about it, I did somewhere. The thing is, I learnt a lot from James Bernard and Peff at the conference. I thought I knew a lot about reason, but there is MUCH more I have to learn, particularly as I'm not that great with synth programming yet.

James Bernard talked us through mastering, and about the 'small compression' method, whereby instead of making a compressor an insert, you make it a send effect, so that you have the compressed signal playing alongside the uncompressed signal. That's how a lot of hip hop is mixed these days. I'd already heard of small compression, but the way he explained it was very good. He has a preset for this in his multiband mastering refill which you can get from the propellerheads website. He will soon release another version which uses the stereo wideners instead of the vocoders for splitting the frequencies, as the vocoders colour the sound somewhat.

Peff talked us through advanced combinator programming, and about control voltages that you can use for modulation. His lecture made me realise that not all elements of the song need to be 100% played in, and a mix of performace and pre-programming can be really fun. He showed us a variety of techniques on the combinator. I've made a combinator with some help from his book, which I bought after the conference. It automatically slices up a rex loop based on delays and changing the start points so basically you can come up with new variations on the loop simply by changing some values on the machines you have set up. There is a version of this in the song I did for the reason competition, although I have recently made a slightly improved version.

The conference definitely made me think more about sound design, and programming using the combinator.

I didn't know that you could instantly copy any sequencer track or device by dragging it while holding ctrl, although you must manually cable it afterwards.

Create a subtractor, flip it, then connect the 'LFO1' output to the 'Gate' input. That alone opens up many creative possibilities.

Rofl! Yeah you're right, I did say I'd make a post about it, I did somewhere. The thing is, I learnt a lot from James Bernard and Peff at the conference. I thought I knew a lot about reason, but there is MUCH more I have to learn, particularly as I'm not that great with synth programming yet.

James Bernard talked us through mastering, and about the 'small compression' method, whereby instead of making a compressor an insert, you make it a send effect, so that you have the compressed signal playing alongside the uncompressed signal. That's how a lot of hip hop is mixed these days. I'd already heard of small compression, but the way he explained it was very good. He has a preset for this in his multiband mastering refill which you can get from the propellerheads website. He will soon release another version which uses the stereo wideners instead of the vocoders for splitting the frequencies, as the vocoders colour the sound somewhat.

Peff talked us through advanced combinator programming, and about control voltages that you can use for modulation. His lecture made me realise that not all elements of the song need to be 100% played in, and a mix of performace and pre-programming can be really fun. He showed us a variety of techniques on the combinator. I've made a combinator with some help from his book, which I bought after the conference. It automatically slices up a rex loop based on delays and changing the start points so basically you can come up with new variations on the loop simply by changing some values on the machines you have set up. There is a version of this in the song I did for the reason competition, although I have recently made a slightly improved version.

The conference definitely made me think more about sound design, and programming using the combinator.

I didn't know that you could instantly copy any sequencer track or device by dragging it while holding ctrl, although you must manually cable it afterwards.

Create a subtractor, flip it, then connect the 'LFO1' output to the 'Gate' input. That alone opens up many creative possibilities.

Man, that's a lot of useful information. I want a producers conference in sthlm too :o

If you have some time, can you maybe upload some example combis/rns of things you learned? I'm way to busy to explore all Reasons possibilties atm but looking at something doesn't take that much time :)

Thanks for the update man

I've been preparing a new refill (Still months till I can make enough decent sounds to form a new one though) and I've been doing some advanced CV routing for the new presets, and it's really awesome. Actually I tried something like what you say as an example here, I wanted to get a gating sound similar to what can be heard at the beginning of Kraftwerk's spacelab, but with a controlable rate that coulb be sync'ed. Pretty fun stuff.

I just ordered Peff's book a few days ago, and I hope that It expand my knowledge on synthesis, which is for me, half the fun of making music.

Yeah...it's worth it. IMO if you haven't read that book you are missing out on some amazing shite.

$18

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Tools-Reason-3-0-Software/dp/0879308613/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-1202021-6454049?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183565861&sr=8-1

Yeah I bought it from amazon. Why it hasn't arrived yet is beyond me, but I am eagerly waiting to put my hands on it.