*NO* Streets of Rage 'Rise Again'

Liontamer

Looks like Jredd laid it out already :-D - LT

Hey guys,

This is kind of like a stylized cover more than a ReMix. But it has some improv solo keys in one part. Also, it uses the original piano riff from the game but it is edited slightly to fit my new parts. It isn't particularly long, but I didn't want you all to get bored with it :). I hope you enjoy it. Before you say it's too short. Know that when I made this, I was kind of envisioning what the title song to a new Sor for like PSP or DS might sound like. I could totally see Yuzo sampling his own mega drive sounds and arranging them into a DS sequel. The dude remixed some of his own stuff even from SoR1 to SoR2 so why not :-P. Not that I am anything close to Koshiro but whatever, enjoy!

http://mystro88.googlepages.com/RiseAgain.mp3

I understand that this will probably get rejected for the following reasons:

1 The length is 2:10. Most likely not long enough for what your site aims for. Then why did I do it? As stated before, this was my interpretation of what an actual sequel's title screen might sound like. Seeing as how most older discarded franchises usually seem to be given new life better when made on hand held systems, I kind of loosely based my idea on that premise and then EQed and added effects to it like you would a normal song to give it a nice retro-modern feel. It seems to be kind of a staple of much of my work.

2. The original in game piano riff was sampled and used quite a bit (Though it has been altered and edited slightly to form a longer loop) I kind of gathered that generally in-game sampling is a no-no when used as a main part of the music in. (I had to try it. When I figured out that my mix just happened to fit the original piano's BPM I was literally stunned and felt it was practically mandatory to include it :).

So then, you may ask why did I even bother to send you this figuring it probably wouldn't make it? The answer to this is very simple. I still value the input and advice I receive when sending you anything, just like any person who has something to say. I don't use it for resubs. I use it for new compositions that come later (remix or otherwise). I don't often tweak or redo finished things because 1, I usually have a specific idea in mind when I make something. Also, leaving things untouched is often times an encouragement to me when I go back and review earlier works because it is the best way for me (IMHO) to see how much I have improved since my earlier work in question.

I sent this to you because mostly I wanted to share it with others :). Regardless of rejection from this site, I feel that you will enjoy this and shuffle it around in your mp3 play list from time to time and smile when you listen to it. That, to me is worth as much as any post on any site. If it is your choice to reject this mix, I know that you only do so in order to uphold the standards of your site to the best of your abilities. Know that I understand that rejection is not a personal attack on me, and I do respect the majority of your decisions regarding judgment (personal preferences aside). It is with that spirit that I send this to you.

I look forward to your comments, I hope none of this comes off as being sarcastic or smug because it isn't. I just felt like sending away. Plus, now you have to at least listen to it once :D! Oh yes, and do leave the link here so that anyone who wants to hear what you might choose not to post can listen to the mix in question :). I am not embarrassed at all to have a song of this overall caliber (forgive the slight boastfulness) represented as an "OCReJect" :P In this way, I and others will more fully understand your judging process.

Take it easy. Jredd-

• 2 weeks later...

'If it is your choice to reject this mix, I know that you only do so in order to uphold the standards of your site to the best of your abilities. Know that I understand that rejection is not a personal attack on me...'

Well that's refreshing to hear. Basically the mix has already been fully analysed/judged by the remixer, but I'm going to give a little breakdown anyways lol.

The intro melody wasn't quantised with the soft underlying beat at all - it didn't sound absolutely terrible, and it was resolved once the intro was over, but perhaps that drumbeat could have been left out. The 80's snare doesn't fit with the 90's style techno, and this is one of the biggest issues with this submission. The synths, sampled piano riff and other melodic elements worked very well together. The bassline sounded stereo chorused, which wasn't pleasing (mono that bassline!) Overall this is not too different from the original and the production could be much better, especially in relation to percussion.

This is not bad, your musical ideas are good, but your production and mixing skills need some more work.

NO

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=53 - "The Street of Rage"

Yeah, bro, you already did the legwork on this one. There's lot of bells and whistles here, but the structure, tempo and instrumentation are too close to the original. Yeah, directly sampling the piano from the original means you take a hit there. That's just another area where you could have introduced your own composition ideas to make the arrangement more interpretive.

You're no stranger to making a passable rearrangement where you really go above and beyond to make it a standalone track, Trevin, so I look forward to your next submission.

NO

Jredd is one of my favorite new mixers. I love his mario mix, and i really love his DKC mix that didn't pass. This track is enjoyable, and the solo in particular is pretty sweet. As stated, the length hurts, as there's so much more that could be done. Aside from that, I think the spectrum is a bit low-heavy, and you could clear up the bass a bit, and maybe balance it out with some brighter highs.

NO