*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'An Excellent Example of What Eggman Technology® Can Do for You!'

Liontamer

Hello,

This is a remix that I did using Ableton Live 5, ProTools, and my Korg MS2000B. Here is the link:

http://www.kingtigermusic.com/music/eggman.mp3

Here is all my info:

ReMixer Name: KingTiger

E-Mail Address: kingtigermusic@gmail.com

Website Address: kingtigermusic.com

UserID: 13997

Game: Sonic & Knuckles

Song: Death Egg Zone

System: Sega Genesis

Composer: Howard Drossin

Comments: What I said at the top. I'd also like to say that I had a lot of fun and explored some areas of music and sound recording that I had not visited before. The in-game sound effects were tricky, because I had to run an emulator and record my computer's audio output into my MBOX...The bad thing was, the emulator didn't like running at the same time as ProTools, so some of the sound effects came out rather glitchy, and I had to edit them a bunch to fix it. Also, all of the sound effects except for one are from Sonic games...although some of them are severely processed :) If you can guess which one isn't from Sonic I'll give you a cookie. Another comment I'd like to make is that the most common remark I hear about this ReMix is that it's very "groovy." Take that how you want :-P

Would it be possible to leave the link to my remix in the rejection post? I'd like people to still be able to download it, even it's not a great number of people.

Many thanks, not only for listening to my remix, but also for hosting such an awesome site!

Regards,

R. Corey Oltman

aka KingTiger

--

www.coreyoltman.com

"This process of the good life is not, I am convinced, a life for the faint-hearted. It involves the stretching and growing of becoming more and more of one's potentialities. It involves the courage to be. It means launching oneself fully into the stream of life." -- Carl Rogers

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Death Egg Zone 1"

Pretty flimsy sounds, especially that tacky sustained vox pad, but let's move past that. Beats were decent, but they need more creativity in the writing. The lead synth was lacking; needs to sound more melodic rather than so rough/abrasive. The new bubblier synth brought in for the chorus at 1:04 doesn't mesh together with the rougher synth.

Chageup at 1:22 was weak in that things sounded VERY empty and thin, and wasn't much of a dynamic contrast from the first section. The instrumentation changes, particularly the piano were ok though in terms of changing the feel that way, even if the writing never became very complex. The tempo and evergy level hovering at this level only made the arrangement drag out despite the other style variations, which was unfortunate. Ending section at 3:16 lacked direction and I wasn't feeling the finish.

During the fuller sections, your parts were fighting for your ear like Vigilante mentioned, so work on EQing as well to give things their own space. Could use more complexity in the writing, particularly the supporting instrumentation, and better energy through more dynamic contrast and tempo changes to keep things from dragging out.

NO

You may have had it in mind, but up until the piano drop around 1:45 or so, the quality of the sound via your choice of instrumentation etc didn't sound like much of an upgrade from the Genesis sound chip.

Lead synth was just a little... obnoxious for the most part. Sorry. Don't know how else to say it. Definitely had some monoglide abuse going on as well. Monoglide is definitely a double-edged sword, and has the same pitfalls that something like reverb has. It's great when used tastefully, but people just go nuts, and it kills a track.

Not a bad track, but the foundation and soundscape don't really keep this one afloat in it's current state.

Keep at it, don't get discouraged.

NO