Super Mario Bros. for 5-part trombone ensemble

Steben

This is something I'm whipping up for the Auburn University trombone section. At every home football game we have a chance to, we hold a "trombone show" in the school amphitheater. Basically, it's just a chance for us to warm up and play a few school tunes before our real performances in the football stadium.

However, this year we're actually gonna have a few original tunes to play for the show. And, while no one in my section knows about it yet, I've got an arrangement of my own that I'm working on. Yeah, it's the Super Mario theme we know and love.

http://www.auburn.edu/~clontsc/smb.mp3 <- this is an MP3 recording of the Finale score.

The first 40 seconds or so is a nearly exact transcript of the Mario theme (transposed to b-flat), with repeated parts taken out, and the baseline brought up an octave so it's, y'know, playable on trombone. That's really just there to get drunk people's attention. The fun begins at 0:40, where I've actually written some original stuff.

FYI, at 1:14, a first trombone plays the first measure alone, to which a second trombone replies with the second measure, and then the whole section comes back in on the third measure.

The stuff from 1:20 on is just filler for the moment. That's the basic melody I want to cover at the end of the piece, but I'll do something more interesting with it later.

What do you guys think? I hope to get an actual recording of this. It should be easier to swing than, say, my Katamari on the Rocks arrangement, since I only need my own section to perform it. This could even be done by a trombone quintet. Also, it's a lot more recognizable than Katamari Damacy, so I can get some support to get it recorded a lot easier, I hope.

I'll probably post the score and parts to this piece once it's finished on my website.

dude. yes! YES! I play the trombone and I will personally say that I would love to play this! I was actually thinking of doing a 4 trombone part medley of all of the SMB tunes...

anyway, if you're looking to get this accepted you're going to have to add a BUNCH more original stuff. It's totally perfect for a football game but for ocr, it's gonna need some more interpretation.

But, damn, I like. Can't wait for updates/ hearing it recorded live! (extra props for the glissando...heh)

I'm aware that this won't be OCR-quality. Maybe if I get a good recording I can put it on VGmix (if it ever returns).

Alternately, I'll need to put a lot more effort into it and cut out more of the beginning, unarranged stuff, and replace it with more original material. The problem arises when you consider that this will get next-to-no-rehearsal-time, since it's for an unofficial performance, and we can only commit so much sectional time to it.

EDIT: This isn't a huge enough update to warrant a double-post. However, I worked on it this afternoon. I probably spent more time taking stuff out than adding anyway.

http://www.auburn.edu/~clontsc/smb_2.mp3