*NO* Super Metroid 'The Aquatic Abyss'

Liontamer

HoboKa

Lower Maridia

Super Metroid

I always wanted to do a remix of this song. I remember getting so frustrated trying to get the notes right, and well I think I've done it now.

I've also rearranged it quite well methinks. It's short and sweet, dark, ambient at parts, quite eerie and sad. I've put my heart and soul into it and I don't have much else to give, short of my genitals, which I intend to keep a while longer.

I hope you guys like my rearrangement of this song ^_^

LT EDIT (10/10): I have no idea why Alex sent in a new version of this song on 10/7 other than that he probably forgot he had this one in the queue. It's cleaner and shorter. J-hosted link has the latest version, as does the sub email as of 10/10. Newer sub email is below:

Artist name: Hoboka

Game: Super Metroid

Song: Lower Maridia

Remix: TheAquaticAbyss

Okay...last submission for a long while and I'll stop being a thorn in your guys' sides. This is a remix of Maridia (Super Metroid) and I've been itching to get it over and done with...I think that it lacks the "wall of sound" crap that I had for my other remix that got horridly blammed.

Basically, my interpretation was of a sound upgrade and a change to the melody, as well as some different instruments, LagunaCloud said that he likes the atmosphere and that it might need more of a lower end, which I compensated for by putting in some low-octave piano notation.

I'm sorry for submitting that cruddy BoF2 song before without any critiqueing beforehand. Luckily I've done that for THIS song, and so I think I have a better chance of hitting pay dirt this time - if not, well it was a good run. Thanks guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Maridia Rocky Underwater Area" (sm-24.spc)

The glassy lead sounded extremely cheap, and wasn't helped enough by the effects on it. The note changes for the vox were too rigid and robotic sounding.

Heh, sounded like car trouble at 1:28, what was that? :lol: String sample at 1:32 was extra jerky, especially to start.

2:08-long, there wasn't much to work with in the big picture. Gotta refine the sequencing and develop the arrangement further, probably at least another minute's worth. But adding length comes second to refining the sounds, especially in the first 30 seconds where everything sounds extra cheap.

New Vote (10/10): You have some good instrumentation in here, but other instrumentation was really thin, for example the melodic lead and vox introing the arrangement. So you still have a pretty big disparity in terms of sound quality.

The sound balance though was pretty good, and the end result sounded pretty clean. You set a mood for the arrangement that, even though underdeveloped, was personalized. This isn't terrible, Alex. But 1:49-long though with limited interpretation and spotty execution clearly isn't getting it done by a longshot.

I don't believe you should quit. Hell, as a listener, I'm already jealous of what you know. I'd be pretty encouraged to even make something like that, just based on potential's sake. Just keep working at things and keep on learning. Stay hungry. You could be surprised at how much you can pick up over a year or two.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, first, there's more than thirty seconds of silence at the end of this track. Not cool at all.

Second, even giving you five seconds of silence puts this mix under two minutes. I hope you've done really cool stuff to my favorite Metroid track ever.

Decent attempt at fleshing out the original while keeping the unsettling flavor, but I wasn't really feeling the melody. The arrangement of it is there through the whole song, but the final result seems pretty aimless, especially in comparison with the original's. It just putters around, repeating similar phrases higher, lower, lower, higher, lower, higher, higher, lower, etc. The rest of the track doesn't really help that either. There's the occasional pad swell like 0:17-0:24 and break like 0:32-0:36, but nothing strong enough to make the track seem like it's doing anything more than spinning its wheels until the build from 1:25 to the end.

Your instruments could use some serious work too. Quality of, first of all. I'm mainly thinking of that violin that comes in at 1:25. It's incredibly harsh on the low notes, incredibly thin on the high notes, and the attack on each note just hurts. The vocals aren't too great either. The writing is so mechanical that your sounds stick out even more. Pick any instrument save for that swelling pad and any two parts of the song with that instrument, and the instrument will be playing at the same volume. This ties back in with the aimlessness; it's hard to feel like you're going anywhere when everything sounds exactly the same.

This one needs a lot of work on everything. You've got the personalization part of arrangement down, so now work on making the arrangement feel like it has a point. Work on your sounds too: get some better samples and try to use them better as well.

NO

This has some big problems. A lot of elements in the song sound random - the jumps in the melody, the weird time signature, and the way the pads come in and out unexpectedly. In the right context, these elements can work individually, but put together, it makes your mix sound a little too directionless. I think CHz got at what I wanted to say here.

Your arrangement should be more interpretive of the original. Some of the instruments are similar and the sparse mood is pretty much the same. I would have liked to see more of a departure. Also, 1:48 (knocking off the long silence at the end) is too short a time to really develop a piece.

Some of the instruments need processing so that things gel together better. The choir could really use some reverb, which would push it back and fill out the soundfield. The sample quality could also stand to be higher at times, especially with the harsh violin CHz mentioned.

You need to spend more time developing your writing and producing skills. There are some good ideas here (I liked the eerie pad textures) but they are a few pieces of the puzzle. I'd suggest listening to songs similar to the one you want to make and just try to recreate them first. It can be a useful exercise for understanding what makes a song work.

NO