Electronic percussion

I'm working on a mix for which I'd like to have electronic percussion, and would like to do it myself, but I don't have the faintest clue how to do it. I'm stalking about something like Back to Skala or The Delay or Snowfall on Forbidden Lands (probably the best example of what I'm aiming for).

How does one go about doing this sort of percussion? Is it done with simple samples and creative sequencing/processing, or is there some manner of drum synth that would do the trick, or is it something else entirely?

For something like Back 2 Skala, you first want some CDs of electronic percussion. This usually means drum sounds generated via synths/drum machines, but can be specially processed acoustic sounds as well. Then it's a matter of additional FX processing (lo-fi, panning, filtering, distortion, granulization), and most importantly, sequencing. Getting all of those 'grinding' and stuttering effects just involves writing them in yourself. Insane and time-consuming? Yes.

You could also just get Stylus RMX, upgrade to version 1.5 (free), and then use the Chaos Machine's "Buzz" feature to produce very similar effects. It has a large library of electronic percussion built in, which is very helpful for this kind of thing.

"The Delay" has a mix of ethnic percussion, acoustic percussion (eg. the high hats), and perc from drum machines (the kick). There's no special processing I can hear, so if you have the right samples and sequence them in a groovy manner you'd get this kind of sound.

Snowfall on Forbidden Lands relies on HEAVILY processed electronic/acoustic drum sounds. The most defining feature is the massive reverb on the snare/clap sample, which is tweaked in such a way as to have a slight delay/attack. There also seems to be some compression which "pumps" the drum track. The little fill sounds are sticks being hit together and bells, and it sounds like the snare hit is a processed acoustic clap or snare, with the bass most likely being distorted from a drum machine sample.

Oooh I luv those mixes! :)

Blue Magic uses lots of free samples with very intelligent use of reverb and some phasing. Mainly the stuff is just sequenced extremely well.

With Back 2 Skala you can achieve some of the results with what zircon mentioned, there are some other ways too. Using 256th notes or greater with different velocities is a good way to achieve some cool results. Some slight delays are good too.

Some cool processing techniques to use are mainly with Chorus effects. Turn the Mod Amount to the max and then the Rate the lowest it can go. After that mess around with the delay and feedback settings and see what kind of results you can get.

Another way is using delays in non-conventional manners. Turn the delay time to 0-25 ms. Mess around with the feedback settings. This can produce some FAT sounds. Also try a multi-tap delays as send effects. (cut out all the low end and stereo image the shite out of it) Also if you can route the audio signal back onto to itself for a slight feedback loop. (Be careful bc these can get crazy if it goes beyond the threshhold)

Chopping up different loops and automating pitch is another technique. Reversing different slices is a good way to add some flava.

IMO in the end it all comes down to sequencing, experimentation, and a good sense of groove. It took me a awhile experimenting to come up with some decent results and even now it's still hit or miss alot of times.