Forest Interlude WIP

Dr. Rod

This is a remix Ive been at on and off for the past two weeks. Its based on the Forest Interlude theme from DKC2. I wanted to make the song more upbeat and kind of happy-sounding compared to the more mysterious original. Ultimately I'll flesh things out a bit more in certain areas as more ideas come along.

Heres the remix: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/SugarcaneForest0.0.mp3

And this is the source: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/ForestInterlude.mp3

So.....lemme know what u think : )

oh wow, this has potential to be pretty groovy. There's just 99 problems with it =(

I swear I'm hearing a sour note in the first 40 seconds of this, and really it doesn't even sound like the first 40 seconds is needed.

I don't really have time to break the individual sections down, I will say that I like the idea of turning this into an electro-swing/groove mix (whether or not that was what you were going for), but the out ranges from going way too minimal and repetitive, to way too over the top and orchestral filled. I find that there's zero chorus, or a part where you can just bob your head with the groove. Oh, it has a lot of parts leading up to this epic, head-bobbing climax, but it just feels like it broke down into something else.

Snares/claps/snaps and small open hats are your friends!

Skrypnyk is right that this needs some more aggressive percussion throughout.

In the intro it's not a sour note per se, but it doesn't resolve properly. I also agree that the intro is generally superfluous, and either needs a stronger melodic connection to the piece, or needs to be axed. I realize it is the chord progression used later, but the shift is too abrupt.I'd prefer you keep it in, as it is a good attention getter, but it needs a better transition and some more connections with the synth.

After your china cymbal 4count the beat needs to be kicked up huge. That's a pretty strong statement the cymbal is making, and there really isn't much of a payoff right now.

Synths throughout are nice, but for the second half don't really build. They develop, but there is a division between the few spots where you are trying to build up dynamics, and where you want things to be a smooth plateau; right now the mix is suffering because of that, IMO.