Pheonix Wright - Examination Remix (Drum and Bass)

The Vagrance

Its been a long time since I've posted on here and I kinda went on a VGR hiatus to focus on producing original things. However, after becoming fairly starved for inspiration, I decided to take another jab at remixing, starting off with one of the first tracks I remixed. A few things to note:

1. Its mixed pretty poorly, I know this, before this version I had limiters left and right and so this version as after taking off all limiters (except for on the main) and kinda balancing things out just to get it all sorted and so each element can be heard fairly clearly

2. There's a few sketchy spots on the arrangement, including the fact that I only am using 1 drum loop for the main section. I'll sort it out.

3. While I like the already existing bassline, its kinda a spot-holder for a newer, fatter one I'm working on (I've started doing all of my basslines in a separate file altogether).

Anyway, the main thing I'm curious about is, do you think if it were refined and such, that it would pass the judges panel? I remember them being fairly biased against these sorts of arrangements but then again I haven't been here for a few months so that may have changed.

Also, any comments or whatever are appreciated.

Link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=710435

Another Phoenix Wright mix on the wip boards, this is pretty great to see. :-D

I'll leave out the stuff you mentioned, you are correct with all of them.

Starts off with some cool drums at :25, and after a solo; I guess it would be; another breakdown. The intro is way way too long at this point. It is 2:17 or so out of a 4:06 remix. I'd cut it to about 1/4 to 1/3 it's original size.

Once the mix eventually gets going, it relies far too much on the percussion and doesn't evolve through the music itself. There needs to be additional sections and parts to fill this out in the style you are going for, as of right now it's pretty verbatim with an amazingly long and drawn out intro.

Another Phoenix Wright mix on the wip boards, this is pretty great to see. :-D

I'll leave out the stuff you mentioned, you are correct with all of them.

Starts off with some cool drums at :25, and after a solo; I guess it would be; another breakdown. The intro is way way too long at this point. It is 2:17 or so out of a 4:06 remix. I'd cut it to about 1/4 to 1/3 it's original size.

Once the mix eventually gets going, it relies far too much on the percussion and doesn't evolve through the music itself. There needs to be additional sections and parts to fill this out in the style you are going for, as of right now it's pretty verbatim with an amazingly long and drawn out intro.

Thats the problem, its not exactly going to be a song with a synth solo or anything you usually see in a VGRemix, its going to be more inspired by the genre it is aiming to be in than in the style of remixing that this site has grown to. There probably won't be a synth solo or anything like that just because thats my style, which is why I'm asking if I should even try to get this past the judges, because its interpretation won't so-much be in what I have done to the melody (which is a lot if you listen closely), but how I've updated it and how the mood as either been changed or enhanced.

As for the intro, I'll try cutting back a bit.