Overclocking?

dsx100

Is overclocking always supposed to improve performance or does it just not do anything sometimes?

I ask because I was attempting to overclock my 8600GTS using RivaTuner but I couldn't get better performance. It just remained the same. I tested it out after increasing the Core and Memory clocks every 5-8 increments until my PC got stuck. Never did I once see any improvement in performance.

My GPU is currently at factory settings where seems to be the most stable.

Alot of applications are cpu dependant than gpu dependant. If anything you probably would have seen some sort of improved quality & performance if you overclock your cpu. The downside though is that it will get hotter so you'll need more than the stock heatsink & thermal paste...

That said, imo it's not worth possibly wrecking your hardware when you can just get beefier hardware than can run just as powerful but stable...

Alot of applications are cpu dependant than gpu dependant. If anything you probably would have seen some sort of improved quality & performance if you overclock your cpu. The downside though is that it will get hotter so you'll need more than the stock heatsink & thermal paste...

That said, imo it's not worth possibly wrecking your hardware when you can just get beefier hardware than can run just as powerful but stable...

My CPU is the most powerful part of my PC. The only thing lacking is my GPU. If my games are CPU depedent then they would be running really fast, so I doubt thats the case. I don't intend to overclock my CPU. I just want to overclock my GPU, and if that doesn't help then I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the performance level I got now.

My CPU is the most powerful part of my PC. The only thing lacking is my GPU. If my games are CPU depedent then they would be running really fast, so I doubt thats the case. I don't intend to overclock my CPU. I just want to overclock my GPU, and if that doesn't help then I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the performance level I got now.

If you want you can try some tweaked/modified drivers like from driverheaven or something as they are designed specifically to squeeze more performance/quality out of gfx cards...

Plus u already got a beefy vid card, do u really need more power or are u having issues with apps like hl2..?

If you want you can try some tweaked/modified drivers like from driverheaven or something as they are designed specifically to squeeze more performance/quality out of gfx cards...

Plus u already got a beefy vid card, do u really need more power or are u having issues with apps like hl2..?

The only real games I'm having issues with in Unreal Tournament 3 and Call of Duty 4. UT 3 can't keep a steady framerate and I can't get CoD 4 to run smoothly at any resolution above 800x600.

I guess it really isn't necessary but I would like those games to run a little better seeing as thats the whole reason I decided to upgrade my PC. But CoD 4 runs great and looks good at 800x600 and UT 3 only slows down in certain areas of certain maps on any setting, High or Low, making me think theres a problem with the demo. So I guess it isn't necessary seeing as the games run pretty good overall but I still wanted to see if I could squeeze out a little extra power without having to spend even more money. Also I'm very concerned about running Crysis.

I'll try out those drivers and see what they do.