Way to remove vocals?

No, that's not right.

AnalogX Vocal Remover works on the same principles that the hardware removers do - that in most instances vocals are equally mixed in both channels, and can identified and therefore removed by simply changing the phase on one channel by 180 degrees. While this won't remove vocals in all instances, it does work in many cases, and can sometimes be used to remove bass or breakbeat sections as well, which I find to be GREAT for sampling! Depending on the effects used on the vocals, sometimes the reverb or ambience of the vocals is left. In order to use the DirectX Vocal Remover, your application must support DirectX Audio Plugins, and must also support either realtime or non-realtime processing (such as Paris, Cakewalk, WaveLab, CoolEdit, etc). Vocal Remover REQUIRES a stereo sound streams, and supports either 16bit or 32bit data types.

Dan, have you used the Izotope vocal remover?

The best way to go about getting the vocals is finding a capella's of the original. Period. All of the crap that everyone says works really doesn't. It CAN be serviceable, but I have yet to find anything on the market that comes close to actually "extract" vocals. Even the several hundred dollar hardware/software really just gets very odd vocals out because they're usually so filtered (since drums tend to be centered as well) that you could only really use it if there was a ton of your own music around it to try and cover it up. But as far as getting pure vocals out, nothing can do it well.

No, I haven't used it, I actually went to the iZotope website because I had recently seen a video of their audio restoration software (iZotope Rx) and it had this one example of some incredible noise removal and I thought it might be used to remove vocals, but when I got to their site I noticed that they had a vocal remover.

Obviously the presence of the vocals, in their audio remover example couldn't get rid of everything, but I don't think they work on the same stereo premise--they have a different way of approaching audio editing.

Watch the video, their spectral repair segment, at the end, is brilliant:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/Player.swf

They seem to have a very innovative method of isolating sound.

- Dan

Obviously the presence of the vocals, in their audio remover example couldn't get rid of everything, but I don't think they work on the same stereo premise--they have a different way of approaching audio editing.

Watch the video, their spectral repair segment, at the end, is brilliant:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/Player.swf

They seem to have a very innovative method of isolating sound.

- Dan

RX looks useful, and you’re right it doesn’t’ look like it uses the stereo channel inversion, but I don't think its algorithms necessarily mean the vocal removal tool will be that great. It looks like they are doing 2 things to removed the background noises with spectral repair: 1) sampling the offending frequencies and quieting them, similar to what can be done with a multiband compressor 2) interpolating the good frequencies through the gap to preserve more of the sound you actually wanted, like what they showed at the end with fixing the gap in the opera singer sample.

If indeed that is the majority of what they are doing, then I think it would be difficult to apply the same thing to a mix and isolate the vocals. In their example, there was a low-mid freq piano with some high freq noise. Not a really big challenge to pick the right frequencies and kill them. In a typical song though, guitars, pianos, synths, drums, and a ton of other things can share the same frequency space with vocals so it's a real headache to pull them out via frequency spectrum analysis.

[/naysaying]

I am impressed with their buzz removal tool. The one I use in CoolEdit 2000 (admittedly very old) cuts a lot of high freqs and leaves most samples sounding like a 64kbps mp3. iZotope's was pretty transparent from what I heard.

From their licensing page, iZotope appears to be just as focused on audio processing research as on plugin development. “VocalRemover” appears to be just a name for an algorithm that they’ve developed that a plugin designer can purchase a license for and integrate into a usable plugin. That would explain why they mention that VocalRemover is available “in both SDK [software development kit] and embedded implementations”

Anyone got any Windows API programming experience? ;-)

From their licensing page, iZotope appears to be just as focused on audio processing research as on plugin development. “VocalRemover” appears to be just a name for an algorithm that they’ve developed that a plugin designer can purchase a license for and integrate into a usable plugin. That would explain why they mention that VocalRemover is available “in both SDK [software development kit] and embedded implementations”

Anyone got any Windows API programming experience? ;-)

Man, the RIAA is probably going to go ballistic trying to sue them. Either that or the musicians' union -- they sure like to get their panties in a wad about Karaoke-related issues. That's probably why they're only offering it as a component, that way at some of the legal maelstrom will be directed at whoever uses it...

I don't think you'd really need to know the Windows API to work with this. You'd more need to get the SDK from Izotope and then roll it into a DXi or VST, or you could just make a dinky command line app that accepted an input and output filename.