Some get-paid-to-game crap, anyone heard of this?

http://www.gamertestingground.com/

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of this. I responded to an ad on craigslist about "we need beta testers for a FPS game", so I got all excited and sent an e-mail. Unfortunately, I got an auto-reply with a link that eventually sent me to the site above.

Anyone know how it works? Theres no way I'd sign up for it and give them money but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance :D

Beware, the site may be somewhat legit, but it's misleading. In no way does that site automatically grant you a job as a tester. Rather, for $40 you buy a book and gain access to the site's substantial advice.

Signing up is mostly harmless-- you'll get sent automated emails informing of testing jobs that crop up. These emails can be daily, but if you find them annoying you can always request them to cease the emails.

It ain't no miracle, that's for sure, but if, and that's a big if, you're seriously considering a testing job (and possibly relocating hundreds or thousands of miles from your current location), you could find worse places to start your search.

yeah, thats the problem... im guessing even if i did sign up there's an extremely small chance any jobs will pop up near where i live. i'm in a pretty small town :\

is there a way to get this kind of information other than paying someone for it? and other than searching through hundreds of job posting sites of course...

Sure, there's tons of ways -- ask your friends in the business, search your local paper's job listings, stuff like that.

However, if you want the "paid to play at home" type of testing job, you're kinda screwed since not too many developers subscribe to that model of testing because its potential to leak illegal copies to the public before the official release, among other things.