FFX - Wandering Flame

Pixel

• 3 weeks later...

I like this. I like the isntrument choices you've made, they're all very fitting. Sounds like the drums need more reverb to fit in. Don't overdo it, tho. Rather a little too little than much too much.

There's not much in source. See if you can take those occational little melodies in the source and turn them into something more complex. You can get kind'a far doing that, and then it's the problem with sticking to source. But, see if you can expand this, maybe with a gamelan or some ethno mallet.

It's very atmospheric, but it's background music, and ocr is more about foreground music. That stuff you used in the ending, you could use it earlier, build a section of it, kill some of the repetition in this.

So, while it's great music, it's background music. I don't think this'd get a YES from the judges. I mean, I can hear the source throughout. It's just too repetitive. I feared one of mine would be too repetitive so I wrote small sections based on parts of it and tried to bridge those together. Now it's a constantly changing, slow, 6 minute piece. It's not repetitive, but I'm having to cut out parts to make it more enjoyable. It's too long. While long works are good bgm, they're generally not good listening music. See if you can cut out about a minute from this, I think it'd improve it greatly. Kill some repetition both by cutting and by building. But, build vertically (complexity), not horizontally (length).