PLAY a Side Scrolling Shooter I made! ! !

Strike911

Okay, I made a tiny side scrolling shooter in the same vein as Einhander (albeit simple and 2D) and ThunderForce... and you guys have to check it out... if you want.

http://www.koohi.com/Jason/StrikesGame.zip

gamepic1gh4.jpg

gamecap2if3.jpg

the game is in a zip file, and you just install it. You may need a dll to use it, so let me know.

I made it in Game Factory which is completely gay, but I used some of my sketches in a notebook, drawings, and my own animations in it. I just wanted to get a concept "feel" down for it, which essentially is a side scroller shooter with experience points, and armor system, and (one day) customizable parts that add stats (speed, defense, types of bullets). I also wanted a combo multipler system, so based on how many kills you get without taking damage you get your combo times the amount XP you earn. So if you're good you level up fast.

It's black and white because I'm pretty lazy for not using PhotoShop to color and animate it, and the purpose for making it is to prove to some of my Game Developer friends that the side scrolling shooter isn't dead and can be a fun indy project to work on. I think if my friends and I worked together on a 3D, color version of this it could be a killer and viable on PC or on things like WiiWare, XboxLive, or PSN. Clearly, we're nowhere near that stage, but im trying to get something off the ground.

The game has a turkey shoot mode, which really does nothing, you shoot at enemies that don't shoot back. It sucks.

The game also has a mission demo mode where you can shoot at some baddies, fight a mini-boss, and then try and avoid missiles. The missiles part starts to loop so don't keep playing through that forever expecting something new to happen.

So yeah, again, I made this as proof to my friends that side scrolling shooters can be cool, especially if made 3D in as an indy project. I'm pretty much majoring in game design and it seems like all of my friends think that either MMORPGs or First Person shooters are the way to go. I thought that maybe you guys would get a kick out of it so I posted it.

I'm only a game designer (director) and the things I wanted to implement but didn't know how to was camera zooming based on how close your craft gets to the right-most edge. Essentially I wanted the camera to zoom in as you closed in on the enemies, and zoom out when you moved further away. I also wanted to make power-ups and stuff, but I'm far too lazy to add it right now in a mere concept idea. Also wanted to use some of my remixes or original electronica as background music but the utility I'm using pretty much only allows MIDI, which is why I'm using old (but good!) game music. :)

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: oh, and if you go out of your way to try and test certain limitations in the game you can make it glitch so be careful. It shouldn't crash your computer or anything, but you may get weird looking stuff going on.

I just wanted to get a concept "feel" down for it, which essentially is a side scroller shooter with experience points, and armor system, and (one day) customizable parts that add stats (speed, defense, types of bullets). I also wanted a combo multipler system, so based on how many kills you get without taking damage you get your combo times the amount XP you earn. So if you're good you level up fast.

Have you played Jets N' Guns? It was a freebie a few weeks ago (thanks to The Coop for letting all of us know!) on game.giveawayoftheday.com.

In any case, I love shmups, and would be more than happy to have another -- I'll give your game a shot tonight when everything else I have to do is done.