problem with audio clips, files, and slices

Mia

So, you know how when you have a project with sliced audio clips on the playlist, if it can't find the files the channels are red, etc, if you browse to the files it remembers the stretching info but not the slicing info, but if you simply move the audio clips to somewhere they can be found (like the desktop) and reopen the project, everything is in perfect working order?

What about if you accidentally save the project while it can't find the clips? This is what I did. Now it doesn't even look for the files when I load the project. I have a previous save file of the project in which everything's fine (except of course the additions that were made since then).

I'm fairly sure I'm fucked, but I figured I'd ask here if there's anything I can do. Whether it be some setting or option I don't know about, or some, like, hex editing way of replacing part of the new file with info from the old one, etc.

Sorry if this is unclear, but my beat machine is not hooked to the internet and I'm on a seperate machine, so I can't upload screenshots, well, I suppose I can by burning a CD, but I figure if anyone even knows a way to fix this, they probably won't be confused by my post.

* for a little further clarification, for example, I have a .wav file that is a verse of lyrics, which, originally on the playlist is chopped into different parts for timing fixes and stutters. when i browse to the sample, it loads it with the proper stretching settings, but simply puts the entire audio clip at every single place a new slice used to start, thus layering a million voices insanely atop one another.

I ended up exporting the messed up tracks, soloed, in song mode from the previous version and adding it as an audio clip in the newer project file, which, I hadn't successfully done before because there were some differences in tempo changes between the two versions, but I copied and pasted some events and I have a usable project file now. So that's all good.

Still though, I'd like to know, if anyone happens to know, if the slicing info and whatnot is permanently lost when you save a project while the files are unlocated.