No Sound!!!

Cree`

Well, I got my soundcard today(m-audio audiophile 2496), and I found out that it only supports stereo (rca), and digital out. I don't have any monitors, and I was wondering if there is any way I can hook up my original pair of computer speakers without forking over an arm and a leg for a mixer. Are there any adapters, like RCA PLUGS to 1/4 or 1/8?

Thanks,

Cree

yes I have the same exact card. Go to radio shack buy 2 stereo rca to stereo 1/8. One for input and one for output. Also if you want, buy some female to male converters, a long cable stereo cable, and some 1/4-1/8 adapters if you play guitar.

edit: this cost me about $10 for all of the stuff.

I guess you can go with super expensive super shielded cables too. I dk. Considering I don't have an acoustically perfect room, speakers, software, or hardware, it seems kind of silly to buy expensive cables.

DOUBLE EDIT WWWOAAAH

So did you buy this card from that other guy?

Almost everything I've ever read says don't bother with the fancy cables, ever. The super cheapo ones might be a little less reliable, but the diamond-encrusted plutonium core shit generally does nothing to help your sound quality.

And yeah, you can just buy Y-adaptors at radio shack. You aren't doing anything wrong, the impedences and such should be compatbile. Sometimes you can find cables with RCA on one end and 1/8" stereo on the other. I have no idea if adaptors degrade the sound quality or not.

Edit: here's a FAQ on it http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan02/articles/faq0102.asp

yes I have the same exact card. Go to radio shack buy 2 stereo rca to stereo 1/8. One for input and one for output. Also if you want, buy some female to male converters, a long cable stereo cable, and some 1/4-1/8 adapters if you play guitar.

edit: this cost me about $10 for all of the stuff.

I guess you can go with super expensive super shielded cables too. I dk. Considering I don't have an acoustically perfect room, speakers, software, or hardware, it seems kind of silly to buy expensive cables.

DOUBLE EDIT WWWOAAAH

So did you buy this card from that other guy?

Hey, I hope this isn't too much to ask, but could you send me links of EXACTLY what I need, so next time I run to radioshack I can just grab it and leave iwthout having to worry about grabbing the wrong adapters.

Thanks,

Cree

CMR-203_0017-bb1cab63ee167a0f57a1a13d09fa0ba6.jpg

get something like this, but with the appropriate end. I use one of these but with a female to female plug on the end of it so I can plug headphones into it.

I have another one for input except there is a 1/8 to 1/4 female to female plug on the end for guitar and such. I also have a 1/4 guitar cable.

for my speakers, I use rca cables and something to convert the 1/8 back into rca (because I would rather change the cables in front of my face instead of fiddling around behind the computer) Then there are rca left and right extenders running to each speaker.

And that is my wiring setup. It has a lot of converters (1/8 to 1/4, rca to 1/8, ect), but I don't know if converters degrade the signal at all. I don't think they do??? If they do please say so.

Hey, I hope this isn't too much to ask, but could you send me links of EXACTLY what I need, so next time I run to radioshack I can just grab it and leave iwthout having to worry about grabbing the wrong adapters.

Thanks,

Cree

Well, it depends on what kinda plug your speakers accept. Is it a single stereo 1/8"? If so you need what max gave the picture of.