OCR01874 - *YES* Live A Live 'Giant Robot Bonanza'

Liontamer

One for DarkeSword! - LT

Your ReMixer name: Joren de Bruin

Your real name: Joren de Bruin

Your email address: ayato_kamina1@hotmail.com

Your userid: 16286

Name of game(s) arranged: Live-a-Live

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Go! Go! Buriki Daioh!

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site):

Composer: Yoko Shimomura

System: SNES (japan only)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): (plays in its entirety from about 4:55)

Link to remix:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ellb/Joren-de-Bruin---Giant-Robot-Bonanza

Comments:

This one probably won't need a source breakdown but it's cutting it really close in terms of the 50% because there's a lot of original material and soloing going on. I personally counted 1:11 of source and 1:10 of original material so it SHOULD be fine ;)

Anyway, this was my first DoD submission and has been made in only 2 days, so there's a few minor playing mistakes I haven't been able to fix because this mix was made before I fragmented my hard disc. I went for a high energy, iron maiden-esque power metal arrangement with quite a lot of J-rock influences, and was even debating adding vocals at some point, but maybe it's for the best that I didn't.

The reason I picked a relatively obscure game like Live-a-Live to remix is because it's a very underrated and underrepresented game (no OCR remixes yet), but for me personally it's hands down the best square RPG (which is saying a lot, obviously) with a soundtrack that might even make mr. Nobuo jealous (I'm actually thinking of starting a remixing project of it one of these days ;) )

So anyway, I hope you all enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=lal - "Go Go Buriki Daioh!" (lal-24a.spc)

The production sounded a bit cramped and sizzly to me, though not as bad as the Cave Story sub. I also thought the guitars were too buried from 2:08-2:19, but it wasn't a huge deal. The ending also cut off during the cymbal fade at 2:21, which is a pet peeve of mine, when guys don't check that the ending actually rendered properly. But it's reasonable-enough given that it can't be fixed now.

At the end of the day, good energy. Indeed, the usage of the source tune was a little over half. The structure of the source was similar, but the rock arrangement here was pretty strong, with a new tempo, lots of new supporting writing, and original writing and soloing that fit like a glove, IMO. A short but sweet track. Keep up the good work, Joren!

YES

Joren's back! Tell your kids!

A bit crowded in the production-area. The backing guitars are a bit overpowered compared to drums+lead. Thought the drums in general sounded fine though, nice work there. Bass is a bit overpowered too but it's nice to hear a live one now and then.

Good soloing and playing all around. The arrangement of the source was pretty much spot on too although you could've used a bit more. Nice energy all around. Cut-off ending is horrible.. we could at least fade the cymbal before posting it?.

Anyway, given that you can't change anything, this is good to go. Nice work yet again!

YES

...really, fade out ending!

• 2 weeks later...

Great source. Makes me want to do something immediately, and with much great energy!!!

Your arrangements tend to be bursting from the seams with energy, Joren. I love that. You could probably make things a little cleaner, but I can hear everything fine. The arrangement handles the source nicely, balancing more conservative sections with good original stuff. Some crazy-ass soloing towards the end too, absolutely wild. Great dynamics in all instruments, and just solidly put together.

Let's get a render where that last cymbal gets a chance to fade-out and put this one up on the front page.

YES

• 1 month later...

wow, this smacked me in the face really, really hard.

what to say? hmm... very good arrangment, striking a great balance between the source's flesh and original ligaments. the guitar playing is of course the shit and the rest of the instruments are almost as aggressively done well as the guitar if you weren't so distracted half the time with those nutty leads.

you win.

YESS