Another Brick in the Wall (instrumental - sort of synthwave)

Would like some feedback, particularly on mixing and overall sound as I struggle with that I think. For instance I like the bass sound, but it feels kind of disconnected and I don't know how to fix it. Same with the end lead I think (at least in the beginning, before it goes up an octave). It would be great to get a singer on it too! I think a female voice would be a nice contrast to the original, but I'm open to suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 8:46 PM, OmegaBolt said:

Would like some feedback, particularly on mixing and overall sound as I struggle with that I think. For instance I like the bass sound, but it feels kind of disconnected and I don't know how to fix it. Same with the end lead I think (at least in the beginning, before it goes up an octave). It would be great to get a singer on it too! I think a female voice would be a nice contrast to the original, but I'm open to suggestions.

I often add 2 equalizers to each fx chain. One at the beginning and one at the end. The one at the beginning is intended to remove any frequencies I do not wish to be in the sound. Then I do whatever other FX I am going to use. With the final one that is used to emphasize and de-emphasize the ranges you want. Try that and let me know if that better helps to get you the sound you want. It basically allows you to control what sounds fill out the mix and where. Pretty good on the ears so far and I think this trick might help you! The main lead for example. Try cutting off the low end and let the highest fall off towards the end as well. Then on the last equalizer try to place emphasis in the lower highs. Good luck!

EDIT - By the way, using the equalizer at the beginning of the FX chain of each instrument and removing the lows from some of them might make the lows a bit less chaotic and allow the sounds you do want there to stand out and fill in more clearly. Using panning effectively can make it fill in better as well. I like to use the basic "stereo shaper" in FL Studio sometimes to separate sounds in a mix.

On 20/03/2017 at 3:25 PM, Xsquader said:

I often add 2 equalizers to each fx chain. One at the beginning and one at the end. The one at the beginning is intended to remove any frequencies I do not wish to be in the sound. Then I do whatever other FX I am going to use. With the final one that is used to emphasize and de-emphasize the ranges you want. Try that and let me know if that better helps to get you the sound you want. It basically allows you to control what sounds fill out the mix and where. Pretty good on the ears so far and I think this trick might help you! The main lead for example. Try cutting off the low end and let the highest fall off towards the end as well. Then on the last equalizer try to place emphasis in the lower highs. Good luck!

EDIT - By the way, using the equalizer at the beginning of the FX chain of each instrument and removing the lows from some of them might make the lows a bit less chaotic and allow the sounds you do want there to stand out and fill in more clearly. Using panning effectively can make it fill in better as well. I like to use the basic "stereo shaper" in FL Studio sometimes to separate sounds in a mix.

Thanks for your response. I guess I could try EQing after the effects too, see if it makes a big difference. I do separate many tracks across the channels, but with the bass I think it can lose focus more and get muddy quite quickly, although mirroring it to a separate channel that only outputs reverb which is spread out a bit can be quite nice depending on the sound you want.

I should have someone for vocals who I think will be quite great! I will update this when that version is done.

4 hours ago, OmegaBolt said:

Thanks for your response. I guess I could try EQing after the effects too, see if it makes a big difference. I do separate many tracks across the channels, but with the bass I think it can lose focus more and get muddy quite quickly, although mirroring it to a separate channel that only outputs reverb which is spread out a bit can be quite nice depending on the sound you want.

I should have someone for vocals who I think will be quite great! I will update this when that version is done.

You know anything about sidechaining?