*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Infinity State's Guru Guru Remix'

Gario

Note: This will need a proper title, if it passes.

- Gario

Contact
Artist Name: Infinity State

Email: 
UserID: 34299

Submission
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Song: Song of Storms
Name: Infinity State's Guru Guru Remix
Original Reference: Song of Storms on YT
Actual Game Samples Used from: Zelda Sound Effects
Comments: It was one of my favourite games as a child. Now that long time has passed I've re-listened to many of the tunes in the OoT OST and Song of Storms stood out to me. I took the main melody line and created my own interpretation of it. The key was also changed to better accommodate the kick and the bass as it is a 'dance' track.

The remix is attached in this email for your listening and review.

Thank you for your consideration

With Regard,
-Infinity State

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Well, this is a pretty slick track. I like those old school synths the just wreck the house, and those themes that build off of the source are great. The production is fairly solid, to boot - I'm really digging this a lot.

There is one snag, though - there's a lot of building off of your original material that's done in this, so the track loses sight of the source. Pulling out the stop watch, this is what I get:

0:00 - 0:27
0:27 - 0:42 (In Background, faintly)
0:42 - 0:52
0:55 - 1:06
2:05 - 2:32 (Background arp is from source, flute is a truncated for of source)
2:32 - 2:43
2:47 - 2:57
4:24 - 4:35
4:38 - 4:48

132s / 329s

40%

That's a best case scenario: 2:05 - 2:32 is a pretty debateable case, for example. I really enjoyed how you incorporated the theme behind your original material at 0:27 - 0:42, and I could easily see more of that sort of background application done to keep this arrangement grounded in the source to push this above our requirements.

Give us more source integration and I could see this passing easily. Unfortunately, as it stands there's not enough VG to pass it off as a VG arrangement, though it's still a really cool track.

NO

Yeah, unfortunately, Gario's right.  I scoured this for any other source usage, using two different headphone sets in case there was a subtle line I couldn't hear in one, but other than being a bit more generous with the ends of phrases, I can't come up with anything Gario didn't.  3:00-3:28 and 3:56-4:24 are clearly inspired by the source, but they're not identifiable as such without context.  I like this a lot but I don't think it meets our source usage criteria.  I'd love to see it back here with even a few more subtle uses of the source (like you did in 2:05-2:32).

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Omg what an awesome track, great arrangement and ace production.  Easily into my favorites folder, but I can't argue with Gario's source breakdown and unfortunately it isn't enough for OCR.  If you wanted to throw in some other recognizable motifs from other sources (the section starting at 3:29 could almost hint at Zelda's Lullaby but would need to be made more easily recognizable) into those longer fully-original sections, that would put it over the top in terms of source use.  If you don't want to revisit it, I would understand, and it sounds so great as it stands right now.  Great listen, enjoyed it thoroughly.

NO (please resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/01/23 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Infinity State's Guru Guru Remix'