Palpable

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name : 8 Bit Instrumental

Your email addres: 8bitvgm@gmail.com

Your websit: 8bitinstrumental.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Dodge Ball

Name of individual song(s) arranged: A Ultima Carimbada

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This is our version of End Credits from Super Dodge Ball to the Around The Wolrd Project.

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14686 - 14 "End Credits"

The ideas and treatment of the themes were pretty rockin and cool here, but a few weaknesses overall marred a generally solid entry. The main issue is that the transitions between sections were super weak- I get that the original source was pretty divergent to begin with, but productionwise, each little section feels completely differently produced.

The opening was pretty solid, but the sections afterwards were a mixed bag, some good, some not so good. Generally any of the 8 bit instruments used were very dry and overly loud, near the ending, the blips were almost unbearably piercing. :-(

Once that ended, the ending bit was really pleasant, with some beautiful chimes and acoustic guitar. There's a lot of good stuff to listen to here, but the overall polish level isn't there.

I do like the variety on display, and several of the ideas are cool, but I think the weak transitions and uneven production kick this down to no status. I think fixing the production stuff would be an easy fix, as it's mostly just levels of instruments, but the arrangement transitions might prove to be trickier.

Eh, I'm not gonna lie, this is some of the worst overcompression I've heard in a submission in a good while :( At times, it about blew my ears off, even when I had a pretty nice listening level already set, and it was working great on all the other music I've been listening up to this point. Geez, you've gotta get that under control. I'm fighting the urge to start some big giant rant about the damn music loudness war, but I'm not going to (aside from that remark anyway.) I certainly don't intend to sound harsh, but I'm going to be pretty direct this review. The mixing and mastering is absolutely slaughtering the overall quality. There are more than a couple parts that are entirely too loud, the mix sounds like I'm listening to it either through a metal tube, or in the next room, or down a long hallway, depending on the moment of the song. The drums are completely buried the entire time, and when they are heard, they're too muffled and spacey. For the chip sounds, they're so loud and dry that they contrast kind of unpleasantly with the more organic textures, which are generally much wetter.

The arrangement sounds like it's pretty cool, and the performance as well. But the mixing is just so horribly amateur that I just can't bring myself to give the mix a go. Sorry fellas, clean this up, get the volume under control, and bring it back. I absolutely dig the concept, but you've got to make sure you polish it up before shipping it to the consumers.

RESUBMIT

Too loud, too compressed. I did not mind the transitions at all; the overall structure sounded perfectly progressive and fine. But I agreed with OA that from section to section, the production was all over the place. The chiptune stuff in particular was definitely too loud and sounded pasted on top of the soundfield. If the mixing and production were proper, this would have passed easily. Take the advice of OA & BGC and fix the mixing & levels of all of the sounds, then send it back for a pretty easy YES. You don't need to change the writing. The arrangement itself is really fun and creative!

NO (resubmit)