*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Let's Go'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name - Anti-Syne

Your real name -Jack Lewis

Your email address - Jack_lewis13@hotmail.com

Your userid - 31863

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Final Fantasy 8

Name of individual song(s) arranged - 'The Stage is Set', little bit of 'Force your way'

Source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fDCj8rFYQ

Your own comments about the mix - Basically i just wanted to make something a bit fun and bouncy, but wanted it to also carry some of the same feeling of seriousness which the original had. Musically it's inspired by daft punk and Kraftwerk, i.e. it's got the robot voice, a vocoder and a humaniser.

-----------------------

- The Stage is Set

- Force Your Way

Daft Punk/Kraftwerk is definitely a strong influence here. The way the source is incorporated here is very clever, and I found that the more I listened to this the more I appreciated it. I thought things got just a little repetitive, but it might be more indicitive of the style than anything else.

I'm curious about what the voice is saying. It almost sounds like it's reciting Pi at one point.

Really fun to listen to. YES

Pretty interesting build up that i thought was pretty damn cool, but it was a little bit drawn out as far as the arrangement is concerned.

I liked the Daft Punk style electro sounds, but I thought overall the soundscape was a little dry, and the panning could been more intense. Part of the charm of the style of this kind of track is that the individual parts build piece by piece into something that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Something about this doesn't quite reach that point, though there were some really nice moments. I do think it got to be way repetitive, and unfortunately the textures of the track remained a bit static. If there were some pads in a different section, it might change the feel of the track, but it would feel more varied and interesting.

I think this could make it onto the site, but it needs a little more work.

No, please resubmit

I found the track to be quite repetitive though the textures you've got in place are interesting. There are some cool individual moments mixed in there too. I think part of the problem with this is that, in addition to the repetition, it stays in one gear and holds at the same level of fullness. Even the Daft Punk songs that have the beat going the entire song usually do something more in the way of dynamics. I also will agree with OA that the track was a little dry, and it may have helped to have some element be more upfront; it comes off as kind of background-y.

There's a lot of cool stuff in place, but some issues to iron out. This is a great candidate for resubmit, if you feel up to messing with it.

NO (resubmit)

I'm with OA and palp here, it's just too repetitive with not much textural variety. Nothing particular builds up. Daft Punk stays interesting by clever use of build ups and sudden changes in texture. Listen to anything on Discovery again, note the sudden keyboard solos or badass pads you get when the drums just stop, and how it builds back up again. That's what this is missing, and why it doesn't stay interesting.

Not bad, but could be much more interesting and developed. Some of those robot voices were pretty sucky/gimicky. Vocode your own voice or something, much better.

NO, resub plz

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with most my fellow judges here. The track feels underdeveloped because of the distinct lack of variation and dynamics. Beyond that the sounds you've chosen are very dry and very center. Some brighter reverb, panning and more textural variation would've helped. Try doing some breaks, changing the drums up some more, some variations in instrumentation. Perhaps some more melodic work?

Nice idea, decent execution. Needs a bit more trust, love and care to make it over the bar. Keep at it!

NO