*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Moondrops'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: Sockpuppet (for now... I'll probably change it later ;-) )

userid: 27176

Game arranged: Pokemon Red

Song arranged: 'Mt. Moon Cave'

ReMix Title: 'Moondrops'

Link:

Comments: While I think the general hatred towards the Pokemon soundtrack here is largely undeserved, I have to admit that this particular source tune is kinda crap. However I do kind of like the first section, and it was this bit that got stuck in my head, which lead to me making this remix.

This was all done in Reason. At first I was going to make it a lot more like the original but after messing around with it on the keyboard for a bit I decided to convert it from minor to major (I think...). And then I realized that this made the majority of the source completely unusable... =/ As a result this remix is pretty liberal, but I think it's still over the minimum source usage limit. ;)

You can completely ignore the middle section, because I didn't use it. 0:00-1:55 and 4:06-5:36 of the remix are based on 0:00-0:24 of the original, and 2:20-4:03 of the remix is based on 1:10-1:19 of the original.

Finally, I need to thank a few people. Emunator is responsible for naming the remix (which he did while listening to it for the first time, and it was a lot better than anything I came up with during the 3 or so weeks I spent making it. XD). And Tydin very kindly offered to take the project file and fix up a few reverb issues for me. Thanks a lot guys!

--------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz29y40RjsY

Haha Sockpuppet: I don't think there's a general hatred towards the Pokemon soundtrack here at OCR; there's a very focused hatred radiating outwards from just me. Luckily enough I don't recognize the source from this remix, so it's got that going for it.

I'm not super sold on this track though. The arrangement is a little bit too bland, and the break in the middle of the track is really quite bizzare and doesn't work for me at all. The tune is nice, but it sometimes feels like the writing is sort of haphazard. It occasionally lacks any real melodic direction, and whether that's the fault of the source or the remixer, it doesn't really matter. The section where the most recognizable melody is absent makes the whole track sound a little slapped-together.

NO

Going to disagree with Vig on a lot of this. I thought you did a pretty good job on taking the source in a new direction, and while laid-back, definitely has a lot of elements to keep it interesting. I will agree, though, that the pause in the middle is pretty momentum-stopping, and I felt not a good choice for the mix. I also won't disagree that there are times where the overall direction of the mix isn't clear, though I didn't have too much of an issue with it.

I think this one is a close call, but to me it's over the bar. Good luck with the rest of the vote.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I'm somewhere in between the two judges.

I liked the overall instrumentation, and there were some nice arrangement choices; though there are a lot of little issues that add up.

I can definitely agree that the stop in the middle is an interesting idea, but it's a slow fade instead of an epic buildup, which would feel a lot stronger. It's pulled off decently, but I just question the need for it.

Soundwise, the drums seem a little muffled, and the leads used in a lot of spots seem a little buried and underwhelming.

Overall there are a lot of really nice things happening here, but it needs a little bit of polish. I strongly encourage you to fix this up a little and resubmit! :-)

No, please resubmit

Drums are cruddy. Give them a boost and add a longroom reverb and they'll sound all 80's Ballad, which would totally work here.

It's a bit bland for my taste, but so was the source. I like what the remixer's done with the track, taking it from boring/eerie to melodic ballad.

I don't like the fadeout in the middle. It's too long and it kills the pace of the track. But it's sort of a Mice-on-Venus Minecraft thing, so I get the idea. It just doesn't work well for me. I won't reject it on that basis though.

Fix the drums, they really need to be less boring. The arrangement is fine, just fix the sound.

NO, resubmit

reviewed this in the workshop; I gotta commend you again on converting a pretty ugly source into something palatable and pleasant. ;) the instruments at play are a little plain but theres a lot of filtering and effects keeping them interesting. the drums are the weak point here, they're just really flat and vanilla. you should bring that lead square wave out more at the end too, it was too smexeh to be so quiet like that. ;D

I'm with OA on the fade in the middle; it's not inherently bad, I just don't think it was the best way of going about that transition.

sorry I don't have anything more specific to say than to just polish this up a little more and send it back. I really like what you have here, and the mix is pretty enjoyable in the big picture, but a host of minor flaws bring hold it back at the moment. please resubmit this!

NO(resub)