Invisible Concrete

Concrete Man Stage (

)

http://tindeck.com/listen/enks

Hey guys, this is my remix as part of the Rockin' Sockin' Cinder

Blockin' EP by Darkesword. Since this was the final version on the EP

itself, I'd figure I'd give it a shot in submission. I took a little

more time with humanization on the song this time, so hopefully that

won't be much of an issue as the last sub.

I wasn't familiar with the source, but it was pretty catchy. This

helped me get out of a remixing slump I had been in, and I'm quite

happy DarkeSword started up the project.

Unrelated side note:

I'm in school and rooming with a very cool guy whose been making music

for a very long time. He uses Reason, but is nice and lets me use some

of his setup whenever possible - (Which, lemme tell you, it's a

freaking pro setup). He also gives me tips whenever he can, so I'm

really hoping to drastically improve within the next year with his

help / advice. (I'm making it a goal to at least create two OCR

quality songs by next Summer :P)

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to cut straight to the point on this; it's really sparse. At most, you have your melody, bass, drum loops, and some string accompaniment going on. The soundscape as a result is very thin. Look into ways you can double your parts up to expand the soundscape and fill the room a lot better.

As mentioned before, the drum loops are pretty static, and there's a lot more you could do to work with them and help them bring the track alive. A drum break would help change up the soundscape of the track as well, and give the listener's ears a rest from the same sounds used throughout. Changing sounds around aside from the drums would help this out as well.

I think those are the core problems I would address first. I'd hit up the WIP forums too to get more advice.

NO

Agree on the sparseness of the track, and general sameness of the different sections. The beats stay consistent throughout and doesn't differentiate between sections, and this is a solid foundation, but it needs more stuff filling out. Some backing gated synths, or other potential ideas for adding texture and richness to the sound would go a long way, as would some stereo delay on the piano. The oboe coming in helped the overall soundscape a bit, but still wasn't enough, this needs more varied beats and some deeper soundscapes.

The humanization was pretty good overall, so nice work on hitting that goal. :-)

Overall this has potential but needs a bit more work; if you'd like to hit me up, via PM, I can get some additional crits for you before you resub!

No, please resubmit

I'll agree that the sheer lack of stuff going on in this mix is probably the biggest issue that would need to be addressed in a resub, should you choose to go for it. In addition to that, though, repetition is a big issue here as well. The whole song seemed to be comprised mainly of a few core loops without much variation or original writing going on. My suggestion would be to take the loops and the arrangement you've got and fill them in with subtle variations and some soloing of your own creation to help break things up a little bit. This goes for your drums too, which could really use some changeups.

This is a nice start, you've got a super-chill soundscape and some very usable sounds that you can run with, but the arrangement needs more dynamics, attention to detail, and fleshing out. This would be a really good one to bring to the Workshop forums so you can get some more serious, in-depth critiques from people who can help you step-by-step as you work this out. Good luck dude!

NO