o Forum userid: 10963

* ReMix and Game Info

o Remix title: Don’t Panic

o Game: : Tetris Attack

o Original Song: Water Stage Panic

o System: SNES

o Composer: Masaya Kuzume

o OST: http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/tetatckc.rar

I started this remix back in late 2005, and now, seven months later, I’m finally calling it finished…

‘Don’t Panic’, which was made with FL Studio, is primarily synthesized, but it includes some piano and string elements as well. I was going for a space-y, ambient feel when I began this one, but as it progressed, I strayed further and further from my original plans. At one point, I got so frustrated with this track I scrapped entire sections of the song and began from scratch. Hopefully you like the end result.

Take it easy,

-Jeff

The piano sounds too dry in the soundscape, like it's in a completely different song.

This song sounds like it's holding back for the entire piece. There's never any kind of strong statement of any melody. It feels like its building up to something, but it never makes it there. The arrangement meanders. It sounds like background music some kind of karaoke song without anyone singing.

Try to find places where instruments can lock together to make a stronger melodic statement.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

First, the track isnt loud enough, and it's mixed topheavy. I agree with DS that there are no strong statements. you should do something about that. talk about the war. insult someone's mother. anything. A lot of the rhythm section is repetitive and uninteresting. more dynamics plzeeze

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ta - "Water Stage - Critical" (ta-21.spc)

Awesome source tune. Pretty interesting soundtrack. Disappointing that more people haven't attempted to tackle it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jeffrey. The melodic content in the SPC is all from the bassline and pad, so I'm interested in hearing what you did to arrange it.

Nice fade-in for the intro. Mix is a bit on the trebly side. Piano coming in at :45 sounds fairly synthetic and robotic in the performance, though the sample isn't bad. After 1:00 when you seemed to move into a new section, I realized the piano was just too low in volume to begin with. You should have either had it louder the whole way, or punched it up at 1:00 leading into the next section for some dynamic contrast.

Beats coming in after 1:00 were really flimsy. There's lots of effects attempting to flesh out the sounds here, but the soundscape is really thin nonetheless; none of the samples that are meant to sound organic are cutting it. All of the melodic content in the mix doesn't cut through the supporting instrumentation enough, so fix the balance there. You need to learn how to better flesh out the samples you're using.

I also agreed with the others about the lack of direction and lack of melodic hooks here. The arrangement doesn't really go anywhere. This needs to be addressed both with your sound balance as well as the arrangement structure. Keep on improving, bro, you are indeed getting better.

NO