File:

Contact Info

Remixer Name: Latency

Email: apok@theshadowsun.net

ReMix Info

Name: Mechanized

Game: Command and Conquer

Songs: Target (aka Mechanical Man)

Comment: After seeing the VG arrangement community grow over the last few years, I was pretty disappointed in the lack of remixes of the Command and Conquer series, so I decided to see if I could get a CNC movement going on in the community by creating a Techno/Trance of the infamous "Mechanical Man" track of the original Command and Conquer game.

Arrangement wise, seems only the melody was taken from the original, and I can see why!

There is only one issue about this mix, but it's an important one. The low bass is very muddy, and the notes sound like they are overlapping, which really makes it sound bad. I thought the arrangement was engaging, the sound quality and production (bar the bass) was good, although I think for the length, the mp3 encode rate should have been higher, at least 160.

Resubmit with tighter bass and a higher encode rate.

NO

i agree with malcos. the original is not particularly impressive and your arrangement direction is a good recovery for the source. in that regard, i think you did very well

unfortunately, i'm with malcos on another point as well. as good as this is, the bass really does kill this. this track is brutally murdered because i love the groove and the mood of the piece but you have a lot of work to do on that bass. make it bite more. really sharp like a shark tooth barbed and serated.

everything in this triggers happy feelings but that bass. do somethin about it and shoot it back at us and zyko will tomahawk rocket a YES through it.

this is pretty much a yes from me and i feel terribly giving it a no; but you really ought to come back at us with an improved bass track and its on. for now

NO

Command & Conquer OST - 15 "Target"

Sorry for not FTing this myself, Caleb. No excuses for it, but I've been way too busy the past 2 months to follow up on my PMs and mails, so I'm glad you followed up with zirc.

Thanks to zirc for the source also. Woo, I am not feelin' that track. It's not terrible, but works so much better as background music.

Gotta give the intro here credit for being a lot different from the source; nice atmosphere. Melody from :25 of the source kicks in at :40. Ha! Nice subtle fluttery stuff in the background doubling the melody until :54.

Some really tepid beatwork came in at :54. Decent groove (I'm sure TO would have some supportive things to say about it), but the sounds are very tame and hollow for the energy level the rest of your instrumentation and writing is going for.

Not really liking the simplistic synth design with the melody (e.g. 1:25 & 1:53), but it's aight. Making it less muddy, while providing some tangible measure of harmonization or countermelody, could hook this up as well. Agreed with Malc and zyko about defining that bassline more; that would be one important well you could fill out the track.

Decent stuff, Caleb, but work on filling it out by developing the supporting instrumentation more. Doing something to make the lead more unique wouldn't hurt either. Certainly a workable base.

NO