*NO* EarthBound 'Your Friendly Neighborhood Hospital Dub'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: M2S7N

Remix name: Your Friendly Neighborhood Hospital Dub

Forum ID: 21302

Name of game: Earthbound

Name of tracks: Friendly Neighbors, Hospital

Link:

I made this track this past summer after buying a delay pedal, which will become obvious shortly into the song. I'd like to think that the style of music I was going for, however, calls for the excessive delaying and panning. Arrangement wise this will probably be considered too close to the original for you judges' liking, but I wasnt going to go unnecessarily reharmonizing the bassline or adding original counterpoint in a dub track. I think the cycling in/out of instruments and instrumentation was all the "rearrangement" necessary, but we'll see... this probably has a long shot at making it anyway so I'm not too hung up about that, I just want to see what comments I get about production. I feel the bass could be deeper, and the brass sample is way cheap (but heavily processed, so I dont think its a song-breaker), so any suggestions to improve these would be killer. I plan on making original dub tracks, this so this track was kind of a test run, but constructive criticism would be nice.

In case you wonder, the bass, guitar, and sax are real, the drums are a cheap drum machine (I havent had the patience to try to find better samples or program patterns thru software programs, though I will, sometime...), and keyboard is a yamaha, I think. delay provided by the boss dd-6.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mo2 - "Friendly Neighbors" (mo2-022.spc) & "Hospital" (mo2-027.spc)

Yep, I can tell you like that delay. And yeah, I'd probably call it excessive, but at least you did it on purpose.

Honestly, just seemed like a souped up cover of the originals. Little in the way of melodic or structural interpretation. So while I enjoy this for what it is, we've got interpretation standards to uphold.

Short and sweet.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's gonna be a NO. It's very similar to the original in style and sound, and barely any interpretation in melody, harmony, counter-melody, etc. It's a really chill listen, and I might end up keeping it anyway, but it's not for OCR.

Since you took the time to submit, I'll try to give you some production comments. Overall, the sound is sweet, and I think good enough to pass here. If you want to really tighten it up, the bass got a little ahead of the beat in the section starting at 0:38, especially around 1:00. The guitar that comes in at 0:45 and some of the effects afterward also conflicted with the bass a bit; maybe try to separate them better. Brass sample is a little weak like you mentioned, but I thought it worked in this context. I dunno. I could say more, but with dub, many of the standard rules about how things are supposed to sound go out the window. Hope you give us stuff more tailored for the site in the future!

NO

• 4 weeks later...