Lower Norfair Remix - Super Metroid

Rapsting

Well, after months of learning GarageBand, creating numerous original projects, installing 3 expansion packs, and startomg many experiments, I finally produced a song that I am proud of.

Now it's time for everyone to destroy it by critiquing it!

I ended up remixing the Lower Norfair theme from Super Metroid (original, I know.)

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2m3uzdubfmt

Enjoy!

Lol, I recognize it. This is funny shit, man, and that's coming from someone who doesn't say lol and doesn't say shit in his posts. :D

*ahem*

Anyway, this is familiar ground for mne, I started out, haven't shown anyone here tho, with remixing Metroid, and relatively recently upgraded from GarageBand to Logic Express. It's a pretty good tool to start with

It's cut off a little too soon at the end, it feels. Not the file, but the remix, you need some real slight reverb or more release. Delay might work too.

The beginning is a little boring, you could let the drums play soft until 0:14 where after a fill they'd come in as they are now. They're a little tame, but ina mix of this nature, I suppose it's okay.

My biggest concern is that it's all pretty much the same, intensity-wise. There's an intensity push at 1:13, but before then, it was really repetitive. Overall, monotonous is a good word to describe this. It's not bad, but it sounds very much the same throughout. Vary instrument parts a bit more, leave out drums, in place, move stuff an octave up or down in some places. From 1:13 to 2:32 it's boring. Consider adding another isntrument to switch between, like an electric piano instead of the casual one, or a guitar with different effects.

If you can, consider recording a real electric guitar. You don't need an amp, all you need is the guitar, a cable, and a plug adapter to get it to the right size. GB's guitar amp can handle the rest. You cna slow the remix down for recording if you're not good enough to play at this speed, then speed it back up. GB handles the time stretch automatically.

About the drums again: I recommend moving each type of drum to a different track. Toms, Kick, hihats, snares, and crashes/rides on different tracks, it gives you the room to better process them, individually. Mostly, that's EQ, compression, and maybe reverb. Just don't go overboard on getting more bass to the kick or more punch to the snare, less is more.

What else can I say? This is a really cool, relaxing song, certainly an innovative take on the theme, I've never heard anything like this from Metroid (as far as I remember, anyway). The judges are gonna give you points for that. It is, however, a bit tame and repetitive, and the soundscape is pretty much the same throughout, which you'll be losing points for.

This is one of those pieces I guess they'd probably give a NO RESUBMIT, cuz it's gotta be on ocr, but it's still a bit unrefined. I like it. :)