OCR01758 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Mako Eyes'

Liontamer

ReMixer Names: Another Soundscape, Fishy

Real names: uh.... Mattias Häggström Gerdt, Cain

ReMix Title: Mako Eyes

Game: Final Fantasy 7

Song ReMixed: Lifestream

Anso: Cain and I started this during the final breath of VotL and, because of various reasons, couldn't finish it in time. Then one day we realized that.. well, what we had kicked major ass. So we took some time with it, Cain recorded his very awesome guitars and I touched up the rest and here we are!

I tried to capture the feeling you get from the story around Lifestream. Something constantly flowing that's really the essence of all organic life. This made me work a lot with the pads to make a solid but constantly evolving soundscape to base the song upon. I used LFO-controlled filters with great success and I think I managed to create something that's interesting to listen to. I'm actually surprised how well this worked with the more "traditional" instruments like the guitar, the strings and the mellotron flute.

Cain was very easy to work with, he's an amazing musician and a solid producer. I'm really happy we did this, even though it didn't make VotL, because I really enjoyed this and I hope others do too.

Fishuh: The nutters who "came out of nowhere" unite for great justice. Basically, if I wasn't such a lazy ass this probably would've been on votl. We decided we should remix Lifestream as it was one of the cooler undone tracks, and AnSo put all this effort into this massive beautiful morphing ball of sound, and then I put all this effort into waiting for my sound card to arrive as my old one broke.

So anyway, the intro stuff was acheived using a combination of my whammy bar, a slide and my volume pedal. AnSo told me to solo at the end but I really didn't want to ruin an understated arrangement with pointless wank, so I held back. Its great fun to hear all the weird stuff that crazy swede comes up with. I sorta kinda did the final master, for some reason... I had to use a compressor and shit... Whats up with that. Also I checked with zircon that he didn't mind me submitting, as anso already submitted recently. He said it was cool if I did it. Peace.

Fishuh :3

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 302 "Life Stream"

I would have VBRed this at a higher bitrate, if only because it sounded rather lossy. I think the parts could have sounded cleaner and better separated, especially the 1:55-2:32 section. Maybe we can get a new version before it goes up. Just noting I also felt the fadeout to close this ended abruptly, with the volume not completely fading down; a bit awkward.

Otherwise, a rock solid arrangement that retains the feel the source tune while amping up the energy level twofold.

Definitely a shame this wasn't completed for Voices of the Lifestream, as this would have fit the project like a glove. :'-( Creatively, this definitely feels on the same level. Nice collaborative work, gentlemen.

YES

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent work guys, and an easy YES. The guitar work is understated, and really reminded me of Durutti Column towards the end. Slow, measured, but still epic in its scope. The lead guitar sounds like it's being played from the top of a mountain. You can barely tell that this was a colloboration, which is usually a sign that it worked.

The Mellotron section was a bit of a weak link production-wise; thought the pitch and quality of it was a little jarring, following the guitar. Very minor complaint though; let me pass this already.

YES

• 1 month later...

Bah!! This should have been on VotL. I heard the WIP and liked it, but the deadline was approaching so quickly, this mix wasn't finished in time. Smooth, atmospheric synths and beats, with appropriate ballad-style guitar cutting through. Arrangement was great, which of course is no surprise, given the mixers involved. The ending in particular is just really awesome. I thought the lead guitar might have been a little too loud overall, given how 'soft' the other elements were, but that's a minor complaint.

Great job, Anshy! Fisho? Foundscape?

YES

• 1 month later...

Bah, what do Europeans know about music anyway? Aren't they all too busy drinking tea and riding their fancy trains to take time to really do anything else? Pfffffftttttt.........

Ok, so the mix is great. I love the twinkling pads and ambiance in the intro. Guitar adds just the right amount of edge. It's also a nice substitute for the chimes in the original--much more expressive than a percussive lead. I wasn't particularly keen on the flutes ~2:00. Sounded a bit lo-fi and underprocessed compared to the creamy smoothness of the lead.

This is an easy call. Anso's trademark sparkling synth and Fishy's rich guitarwork. Another Fishscape FTW.

YEP