Liontamer

jigwolf

Jig Wolf

krazyjakee@gmail.com

www.indecks.org

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=22473

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Deku Tree ()

I put this up for discussion in the work in progress section, this is my second submission to ocremix. It's strange how after i had put it all together i had a few comments about how it sounded quite eastern european. Some of the darker areas of zelda have this style of music, its quite gripping so i thought i would have a bash at compiling a track with a load of new equipment i have here. Unfortunately the music project file has become corrupt, i have changed things around since my last attempt on the forum but i'm pleased with the result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 03 "Deku Tree"

The first 11 seconds or so felt like a MIDI rip with a sound upgrade, but that wasn't a huge deal in the big picture. Starting at 1:13, the reliance on (potentially preset) drumloops to fill out your background hurt this on some level. The groove there felt pretty tacked on, though I loved the delayed fadeout transition on the drums at 2:13.

Ugh, the countermelody at 2:20 just sounded both cheap and out of place when it was moved into the foreground (compare it to the usage at 1:41). The texture of that with the melody and drumloops didn't mesh well at all.

There was some decent development of the arrangement, with new elements being added in on top of the melody, but the various parts simply didn't join together cohesively once the track picked up at 1:13.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

I thought your additions to the original song were interesting, but there weren't that many and the song wore out its welcome by the end. The drumloop was overrelied upon, and the weird samples aren't incorporated that well into this either.

Production was just plain sloppy. Some of the sample quality is poor, sometimes the sounds clip or near the verge of clipping, sounds conflict with each other, and balancing is off. There's also some weird stuff going on like the loud pop at 0:26. It's hard when you're starting out, but this song just needed a lot more work. Keep using that WIP forum to improve your producing and writing skills.

NO

Drumloop is way loud and doesn't really fit the rest of the track at all. Not so hot on the sound quality, especially the flute/woodwind/whatever. It manages to drown itself out when playing multiple notes at the same time, particularly at 1:02-1:12. I'm assuming that staticky percussion sound on every other beat starting at 0:41 is intentional, but it gets really annoying really quickly. 2:20-2:34 is just not good at all.

I thought the additions to the melody locked in better than Larry did, but we run out of new material pretty quickly and this is just spinning its wheels by the halfway point (save for the neat delayed drum shot). You've got the atmosphere part down, anyway.

NO