OCR01731 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 'Endless Skies'

Liontamer

Hello again Judges, PrototypeRaptor here (aka Jonathan Paulsen) submitting another remix for debate. I'll get one of these up yet! *shakes fist*

So after being shot down on my previous two submissions for lack of actual arrangement, I decided to do an arrangement of FFX's Auron's theme by the books.

Unfortunately, that's not how it turned out.

I was originally going to a straight trance cover, but then realized that that wouldn't cut it...so it's kinda morphed and twisted and now I really don't know what to call it.

The main theme has a riff that uses a piano liberally, so my mix has plenty of trance piano coverage, complete with spacey solos and a weird break.

Auron's theme plays only at the end of the game (pretty sure) and it's really the only song that stood out to me from the entire game (except for the Hymn of the Faith, and only because they BEAT that song into your mind all game long...)

I'm not quite sure if this is too liberal or not...the main theme is pretty much played verbatim here and all of the chords are from the source; I'm just hoping it's enough...:)

I personally really enjoyed creating this song and I hope you enjoy listening/judging it.

details:

Game: FFX

Song: Auron's Theme

Link to source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps2/Auron.mid

Remixer name: PrototypeRaptor

Actual name: Jonathan Paulsen

Thanks for listening!

-PrototypeRaptor

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - 212 "Auron's Theme"

Good intro, with some heavy beats and the source being used right from the get-go at :14, connected nicely with some liberal interpretation tacked on at from :22-:29. Theme returned at 1:01 pretty straightforward but changing the rhythms and building some truly excellent original writing around it.

1:46 had some good piano stuff. It was too quietly mixed in the soundscape; would love to hear that pushed up more. Any of the production-heavy Js could likely tell you 3 or 4 different things to do that would improve the mixing/balance of the parts.

More good original writing from 3:16. 3:16 arranged parts from 1:51-2:20 of the source tune. You were doing a great job trading off arranged material with your original writing. Great dropoff at 3:31 moving into the lonely piano and subsequent rebuilding up to 4:16. The piano writing was on the meandering side, but wasn't a huge negative.

You generally had me grooving the whole way through. Solid treatment of one of my favorite FF10 themes (and I have lots of them, as it's my favorite FF soundtrack by far).

When I initially checked the level of source usage though, I felt like I was left with slightly less than 50% direct source usage.

For a 5:26-long track, I need 2:43's worth of overt source arrangement or 163 seconds. Breaking down what I could recognize, I've got:

:14-:22, 1:01-1:46, 2:31-2:38, 2:46-3:16, 3:16-3:31, 4:16-5:12 - 162 seconds. There's some rounding up in the timestamps.

That being said, I need to know what if any source usage is present from the :31-1:01, 1:46-2:31, and 3:31-4:16 sections. If there's something I'm missing, this would get nudged up to a pass. If not though, there would need to be something more added to get it above 50% source usage, as simple as dropping something a couple fleeting references to the source during some of the original sections. Will vote when I have more information.

re: the piano at 1:46, it is indeed, rather back in the mix, but from what I can hear, the sequencing seems choppy at points. I'm not sure that it would sound better if it were closer up in the mix. With it understated, it functions as a bit of added texture in what is obviously a somewhat atmospheric dance mix. I like it the way it is. the akwardness of the piano sequence is confirmed around teh 4 minute mark.

The atmosphere and texture of this song are fantastic.

As for the arrangement leftism, I'm hearing the source all over the place, right off the bat in the groove, to the synth take on the piano line at :18, etc. I'm hearing it all the way through.

So while Larry is busy looking for his stopwatch:

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Larry, I'm also hearing some usage of the background choir that starts in Auron's Theme at 0:59. Compare that to the filtered-in gated synth in Endless Skies at 0:46-1:01 and 1:46-2:31. I think that's enough of a connection for those parts.

This was a pretty great arrangement. Even the few sections where the source is not there, it connects well to the source material. Love those stuttering drums at 3:16 and the incorporation of the solo from Auron's Theme. 3:31 is just gorgeous, hearing those arpeggiations on their own, leading into the minimal piano part. Maybe the cutback to the drums at 4:16 could have been telegraphed more, but that's a small complaint if I ever thought of one.

Production is solid also. Great texture. I think you still go a touch too heavy on the reverb like "Barrel Roll" did, and it ends up making parts less clear than I'd like, but there's enough clarity. I'm ready to throw my yes on this one.

YES

• 1 month later...

Arrangement checks out. Not terribly daring, but good original writing with how you've treated the source. Nice turn at 3:17. Wasn't really too keen on the piano break. Sequencing is kind of lame, and it killed the groove too much for me, but that's a bit more on the personal side. The return to b33tz at 4:17 was kind of abrupt, as was the ending, but not dealbreakers.

Nice textures. I really like the sound of that opening synth at 0:14. I mentioned the piano sequencing already; I'm not exactly asking for a live performance here in a dance track, but it could still use some work. I'd like a bit more dynamic contrast, but this is fine. Have a

YES

this time.