Can you give me some tips on this subject...

So i'm finished making my mix, I'm going to take it to ozone, and I was wondering, what steps I should take first you know?

I understand compression and multiband compression, but what really confuses me, is that if I use compression first like the way most people do *I think*, I would be setting thresholds like at about 12-24 db because my wave form is still pretty far from commercial volume levels, exactly how do I raise the entire volume level of the mix if ozone has threshold's at 23db and stuff? if i raise the volume wouldn't that cause the compressor to go crazy? <_<

I'm kind of confused,

also, what are some good settings for getting that nice trip hop sound on the drums without it sounding out of place on the mix?

I'm looking towards something like a mix rob dougan would do.

Edit- And if I raise the volume of the mix before compressing, I can't even raise it that much before the entire mix starts going passed 0db at the loudest parts, if I compress it before raising the volume it messes with alot of the parts where I use volume automation to bring in instruments.

I think this is one of the best and easiest to read free guides to mastering basics that I've read. It works for everyone but it is especially useful if you have Ozone. If you haven't already read it, it should at the very least point you in the right direction for the questions you've asked:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF