Wireless that doesn't SUCK?

Final_metroid

OKay, so I have a d-link wireless router and a TRENDnet wireless adapter. The trouble is, one of them or both of them are terrible and my internet connection keeps getting knocked out so much until i repair the wireless connection so it freezes at "disabling wireless network adapter" and the computer cannot shut down for some reason when I shut it down. Is there any alternate brands or things I could use that arn't really bad?

Alternatively, I might get an EXTREMELY long cable that I would have to snake to the outside of the house to the router, it sounds like a really ghetto alternative but could the elements or anything outside break the wire if I do that?

Keep in mind that (if I recall correctly) CAT-5 cables are only good up to 500 ft. For your first solution, any sort of Linksys wireless router does the job well. I'm not too well versed with wireless adapters though, so someone else here has to answer that for you.

He wants you to buy a Linksys WRT54G (most likely used) from eBay or something where you can get a used one. Then download the firmware from the internets (use t3h Googles!). Then use the update firmware utility in the router setup pages, select t3h file, ???, PROFIT!

• 2 weeks later...