ReMixer Name: Oscillated Future

Email Address: pureenergy5002@hotmail.com

User ID: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23164

Submission Information

Name of Game Arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Original Song Title: A Secret, Sleeping in the Deep Sea

ReMix Song Title: A Journey Into the Deep Abyss

Comments:

A true FFVII classic that is sometimes overlooked, but very dear to my heart! Please let me know if there's any further information needed. (This is my first submission)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 404 "A Secret, Sleeping in the Deep Sea"

You have some decent ideas to start. I like how you altered the rhythm of the source tune to intro this one. Ah MAN, what the fuck... :'-( Bah, some weak beats entered in at :30. I literally stopped the track to go "What the fuck?!?"

When the barebones clap/hat groove entered in at :30 along with the ultra-fake, ultra-thin MIDI-ish guitar sequencing at :44, this was dead in the water. You have some good concepts, moreso for the opening rhythms and lead, but the textures were flimsy, and the sequencing for some parts sounded too mechanical.

On top of that, the groove (despite the occasional dropoffs) was overly simplistic and repetitive as hell. I could skip to nearly any point in the song and that lame perc groove and/or kick pattern is on complete cruise control, just swapping out one of the parts every now and then. You could honestly ditch maybe 3 minutes of this song due to the repetition. Trim the fat.

The changeup at 5:30 was at least a little something different with the J-E-N-O-V-A-ish piano, but what was the point of even introducing that in the last couple of seconds?

Get on those ReMixing forums and soak up knowledge, then use the Works boards for some feedback before you try submitting again. You've got a long way to go before you achieve sophisticated results. You have the right idea at the start in terms of changing the feel of the original, but then the structure ended up being repetitive and lazy.

NO

^^^^^

this. Larry's right on. This song was extremely repetitive. I thought the mood was good and the groove was actually not bad, but it needs a lot more detail and variation for a six-minute song. Some subtle changes to those patterns would make this go a long way, without sacrificing the minimal groove you're going for. I'd love to see some expansion at sections with different melodies or new instruments. I also think some light 16th-note percussion would be really cool, but that may be my personal preference sneaking in to it.

Synth and bass work were actually pretty cool. Good textures and design there. The rest of the samples were cheap though, no way around that one. That guitar absolutely didn't work, and might benefit from some delay and reverb in addition to a stronger sample. It really stuck out. The drum pattern felt dry, and the samples in it didn't gel together. You have a ways to go with balancing and using effects to make it all come together.

Some cool ideas in this, but it's too rough. I'd like to see you keep working on it.

NO

You're not really thinking about how your patterns fit together. It sounds like you came up with a few cool sounding patterns and utilized the standard beginner's arrangement technique: add patterns, subtract patterns, add patterns, subtract patterns.

Never mind the fact that the arpeggiating lead gets old fast and is pretty weak in establishing the hook of the melody. It's just meandering the same old syncopated pattern over and over again.

There's absolutely no development in here; you've got 1 minute of material stretched over 6 minutes. Sorry, but you've got to do way more with the arrangement; Jenova is too little too late.

NO