*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Remember That Day'

Liontamer

This is a remix of "On That Day, Five Years Ago" from "Final Fantasy VII". My name is James Kenny, and I suppose that can be my remixer name too...the song is mainly electronic/trip-hop-ish...it has the main instruments from the original song (strings section and harp), and also two guitars (both acoustic), some synthed instruments, a piano, and a beat. The song is called "Remember That Day". Also, there's a part at about 02:25 where it sounds like it may be clicking or skipping a little but that's just an echo from one of the instruments, and it isn't really that noticeable...I also have a myspace music account at http://www.myspace.com/jameskenny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 204 "On That Day, 5 Years Ago"

The opening plays pretty much like a PSF rip, it's so dead on with the original via the strings and harp. At :48 it segued over into some synths, beats and guitar and seemed like it would go in a different direction. Then those verbatim strings returned at 1:16; along with the harp returning at 1:44, I'm totally not feeling the verbatim usage of the core instruments, even though the supporting instrumentation is all new and interpretive, albeit repetitive.

2:24-2:39 went into some new original writing ideas on top of the harp part, but it was brief. Transition at 2:59 was pretty awkward, the harp sample sounded more exposed in places, and the whole section there was non-sequitur with the rest of the arrangement.

As far as the standards go, I don't wanna listen to nearly the same sounds surrounded by some repetitive, underdeveloped new parts. This method is pretty risky in terms of helping the arrangement stand apart enough from the source, ripping off the core structure verbatim. You could do some cool thing interpreting the melodies and counter-melodies, even if just for part of the track.

But if you're gonna go this verbatim strings and harp route, then 1) your other part-writing need to be more comprehensive, 2) you need to develop/vary those new ideas more, 3) you need to produce the new parts properly (guitar sounded really fake at 1:46, many of the string movements are unrealistically jerky sounding moving from note to note). As is, this is too underdeveloped, IMO. Keep working on it, James, this is a good base.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely didn't like how much of the original audio (or a recreation of the audio) was used in this. For the first 2:16, it sounds like the original audio with drums and some supporting instruments. The second half got a little more creative with the usage (like having those strings cut out in the section with the harp arpeggios) and in using more interpretative part-writing - I'd like to see more along those lines. Also, you've got a really solid groove going, but I would have liked to see more variation, especially in those first two minutes. You're holding the same pattern a long time.

Think you've got the production pretty much under control. This had a full, well-balanced sound and a good groove. I really dug it around the one-minute mark before the repetition got to me. That guitar gets fake at times, when it plays some of the lower notes - might want to touch up that part. Also, not sure, but I think I heard some light clipping in the 2:25 section, though I guess that's the echo you were talking about. No big deal.

The arrangement concept is going to be a hard sell without some drastic changes, I'm sorry to say. I'd definitely encourage you to rethink this one or send us something new. Your sounds are really nice.

NO

There's no reason the opening strings have to sound so crappy, and if you're going for that filtered sound, you never contrast it with clean unfiltered strings.

After the minute mark, this song feels like it's on autopilot, lazily going through a genre-adaptation of the melody. The guitar and harp stuff is interesting, but not enough to save the blandness of the arrangement. The percussion especially gets old fast.

It's not all bad; balance between instruments is good, and it's got a nice groove, but you really need to work on this more. Bring some more originality to the track.

NO