Needed: Video expert

zircon

I am trying to do one simple thing: record video of a program on my computer (FLStudio) while also recording my computer output. I have Presonus Firebox as an audio interface.

Here's the problem, I'm using CamStudio and it simply won't let me record from my Firebox's "Main Out" (which would be all the output audio from my computer). I can select it from the list, but then it says the interface isn't found. Uh, what? Presonus insists it's a problem with the video software, and Camstudio has no tech support, so I'm completely stuck.

Most software I've used doesn't even detect the Firebox outs as a possible record source...

Could you record the audio elsewhere (on a different machine, perhaps? Run the line out from the Firebox into the other machine's line in) and sync it to the video once you're done recording?

Also, does your machine have on-board sound (or an internal sound card) in addition to the Firebox? You could always temporarily change your sound settings in Control Panel so that the Firebox is set as the default device and that applications only use the default device, and then reboot and that might get the video capture software to pick up the Firebox output.

My machine has on board sound, but the physical setup of it would make it very difficult to connect my mic (XLR) and headphones (1/4"). It seems like a physical solution, sending line outs into line ins, is really the only way to do it but there really should be a software solution....

Some Creative Labs soundcard provide a "What U Hear" loopback where the audio that would be sent to the soundcard's output is also looped back and used as a possible input source. If the Firebox card and drivers don't provide a loopback, only software that would look to set up loopback functionality explicitly (Cubase might do that, I think) would be able to take the output going through the Firebox and use it as input. This probably is an issue with the Firebox drivers, not with the video capture software.

You could also try routing the Firebox's output to your onboard sound card's mic or line in. Other than dealing with possible latency issues (you'll likely have to shift the audio slightly to line up perfectly with the video unless your machine can handle video recording and processing the sound fast enough), that might do it. I do something similar to practice playing the organ: I have the backing tracks that came with my organ book playing in Winamp and I route my onboard sound card's line out to my Edirol UA-25's line in, and then play the B4-II which outputs on the UA-25. Obviously it's not well mixed, but it does the job. Going the other direction (Firebox to onboard) should be somewhat similar, although you might need a few adapters to go from red and white RCA to 1/4" to 1/8".

Some Creative Labs soundcard provide a "What U Hear" loopback where the audio that would be sent to the soundcard's output is also looped back and used as a possible input source. If the Firebox card and drivers don't provide a loopback, only software that would look to set up loopback functionality explicitly (Cubase might do that, I think) would be able to take the output going through the Firebox and use it as input. This probably is an issue with the Firebox drivers, not with the video capture software.

Right, the Firebox doesn't have a loopback like that built in. When I called Presonus they pretty much said it's a problem with the video software, which they said should be able to support audio busing/loopback features. *sigh*

I think I'm just going to need to do dual 1/4" male to dual 1/4" male, from my two line outs on the back of the firebox to two of the line ins. I'll set FL to output to the Line Outs... which I think it can support...