*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Fantasy Finale'

djpretzel

He'd need to go back to 160 as this is over the 6 meg limit, but since it's close I thought I'd send it your way regardless - djp

"Starblaze" here!

Link:

With this arrangement, I tried to expand upon my orchestral composing skills; hence the length of this song. It goes over the six meg limit by .38 or something. I don't know how big a deal that is. The bitrate this time is 192 - I tried 160 first but it sounded horribly fuzzy. 192 has a FEW problems as well, but it's not as big a deal as I'd expected.

Anyway, this is a medley of a few more obscure Final Fantasy 6 tunes. There are a few exceptions in here, but they're mostly the weird ones. I also included a few songs from some other games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 7 for transition work, and I think it works quite well. EVERYONE in #OCReMix seemed to think the Starfox theme was there at about 2:28. I've never played a Starfox game in my life so I wouldn't know, but I'll take their word for it.

I'm in the database already so you probably have my ReMixer information - nothing has changed since.

-Evan "Starblaze" Pattison

I think DJP has something against medleys. I believe that medleys can be excellent if done by the right people (Protricity (FF5 Pirates of the Sea)). However, I don't feel that way about this particular piece. I believe that the orchestrations themselves are decent. Don't let the fact that he uses übersamples fool you into thinking this mix consists of überexcellent orchestations. It doesn't. That doesn't mean that they're terrible though. Moreover, I believe that this mix lacks structure. He cuts off tunes right at climaxes resulting in TERRIBLE transitions. Listen to 4:10. That could REALLY be built upon, and it leaves me just hating this mix to hear it cut out like that. The mix itself feels empty during some parts as it lacks bass instrumentation. In other parts, bass is overaccentuated. I personally think that StarBlaze could have done a much better job with this considering his other works.

NO

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I heard this one already.

It had that starfox/Back to the future theme thing towards the center.

Samples sound great.

I dont care for the simplicity of the beginning. Also, is it straying into CT music in the center?

Hmm, the whole song sounds to me very simple like a trptcox song. It sounds more like a demo song for the gigasamples than a strong medley.

NO

I have some issues with the transitions and structure here (DC13 hit on my main problems, so I won't bother reiterating what he said), but I don't think it's bad enough to warrent a rejection right off the bat. In fact, the structure aside, I found it to be very enjoyable. The samples are excellent, the orchestrations are passable, and the whole thing left me feeling good about it. Not a masterful orchestration yet, but I think it's OCR quality.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I don't dig this. The leads sound too synthetic and empty for an orchestrated arrangement, like the musical equivalent of styrofoam (exhibit A: brass at 3:15 - 3:27). The arrangement is like a skeleton of something greater, leaving the listener with a feeling of being gypped. As for the instrumentation, I found it to be rather dry and shallow, simply not doing justice to an orchestral medley of Final Fantasy 6. The end-product suggests that you need more practice with orchestrated compositions, or that you didn't give us your best effort. Like shoe polish without the shoes.

NO