*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Ice Cap (Chillout Trance Mix)'

Liontamer

Hmm. Way too repetitive, and what's the deal with the vox? Well, I was looking forward to another Ice Cap sub... I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It needs more progression.

Can't win 'em all, I guess.

NO

"The..."

BOOM tss BOOM tss BOOM tss BOOM tss

"Vox..."

"Suck..."

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Opened up decently enough, though not much was happening. Some boring beats and cheesy spoken word stuff showed up at :27, followed by the verbatim IceCap melody on piano at :41. Some boom-tss added at :55 along with drums at 1:15, but the textures just ended up sounding very basic and generic.

Dropoff at 1:32 allowed the piano to sound more crystalline via some added effects, but the melody was still uninterpretive despite the lead changing to the electrosynth, followed some generic gating of the melody at 2:16. The whole approach ends up pretty cookie cutter with the sound choices and ideas for adapting the IceCap melody to the genre.

The arrangement could use more creative sound design, more creative writing ideas related to the genre, more melodic interpretation and more pronounced dynamics and development over the 4 minutes. There were a couple of dynamic changes, but the overall energy level and groove didn't really evolve significantly, leaving the end result dragging out.

A decent first sub, but we've collectively heard so many IceCap Zone arrangements that 1) included cheesy and generic trance ideas and 2) don't take many liberties with the IceCap melody. I'd suggest taking a listen to something like DigiE's "Breaking the Ice" to get a better idea of the kind of interpretation level we're looking for.

NO