Star Fox: Jyugo (tentative title)[Orchestral]

DZComposer

This year is the 15th anniversary of Star Fox. From what I gather, "Jyugo" is Japanese for the number fifteen (please correct me if it is wrong). I may change that title anyway.

This is an orchestration arrangement of the ending credits from the SNES Star Fox, meaning that it is written as it would for performance by a real orchestra (to the best of my ability, at least, as I have no formal orchestration training).

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/sfjyugo002.mp3

I plan to add some more parts, and maybe adjust the tempos in some spots.

I would like to submit this, but it may be too much like the original to pass the judges. This is more of a "what the piece might have sounded like if written 15 years later" type of arrangement instead of an "I am going to totally redo this piece" type of arrangement most commonly done here. We'll see.

Most of the horn parts actually come from the original. I've always loved them, being a horn player myself. That sample really helps, too. Most of the horn in the piece comes from the Kontakt 2 library, which has a wonderful scripted legato horn from VSL. I had to modify the range, though, as it was restrictive. The edgy and solo sounds come from EWQLSO Gold, as do most of the other sounds. Most of the percussion is from Virtual Drumline 2.5.

Awesome! I was just playing this game today and also noticed it was 15 years old. I remember getting it when it came out. It was a present for me sixth birthday. Me and my little brother used to set up boxes around our little television set to pretend we were in a real spaceship. We would shake it every time we took damage.

Sir, I made an account just to thank you for this song. I got chills. It's by far the best piece of music put out in the history of Starfox. I used to sit for a LONG time in the controls selection screen listening to it.

Talk about a hard game though, i beat it for the first time in the 11th grade!

Anyway, I'm no musician but I'm a frequenter of the site and a torrent freeloader. Like you said it's likely too closely matched with the original to get voted in but you never know. I really love it. If it's any consolation you've made my day! I only wish it were longer and more boisterous.

Good Luck!

This is way too similar to both the original and the Orchestral Game Concert's arrangements.

If this did have enough arrangement to pass the judges would also knock on you for your sequencing of the samples, because they are very rigid at times. Especially in the times of the quicker repeated notes, you get the "machine gun" effect.

Humanization is your friend.

I didn't think it was too close to the OGC arrangement, which parts do you feel were? While I did intend it to sound a lot like the original, I did not intend it to sound like OGC.

There are some major differences between this and the OGC. Notably, OGC removed a lot of the original countermelodies, which I did not, and added a D.S. al Coda to lengthen the piece.

This is way too similar to both the original and the Orchestral Game Concert's arrangements.

If this did have enough arrangement to pass the judges would also knock on you for your sequencing of the samples, because they are very rigid at times. Especially in the times of the quicker repeated notes, you get the "machine gun" effect.

Humanization is your friend.

I've always wondered how to humanize strings, horns, etc.

you ever listened to mazedude's saxaphone in trippin' on rainbows?

how the hell did he do that? how do you turn samples into phrases etc... or is he using pre package sax stabs or something? he probably got it recorded....