*NO* Commander Keen 'Welcome to Hillbillyville'

djpretzel

I really like the idea here, but something about the execution leaves me very underwealmed. Now, I don't know the genre well enough to critique it well, but I'll give my observations anyway.

It could use a lot more variation than you've given it, and a lot more harmonies to flesh it out. Once you get the instruments other than the banjo in, you can let the banjo do it's own thing in the background and let the fiddle and harmonica do the melody work. Drums could also use a little more interest.

The break at 1:35 really didn't work for me, since the tempo change just came out of nowhere. I think it would be much more effective if you slowed it down more gradually, or kept the pace at what you have it set to for the rest of the song.

NO

Hmmm... yeah.

Okay, first thing I noticed was that the samples seem awfully midi-ish. They all seem to sound very dead and very unrealistic, which isn't a good thing considering the style this song is done in.

Next, there are some interesting, albeit strange sounding rhythmical alterations going on starting at 1:09. And the break (which I'm assuming is supposed to be the "band" messing up, or something along those lines) at 1:25 caused me to do a double-take and rewind it just to listen to it again. Suffice to say, I don't do double-takes when things sound good to me...

You do earn bonus points for pulling off the style well, although I'd say this is closer to what you'd hear in a saloon in the Old West, but the poor samples and strange purposeful rhythmical anomalies (purposeful anomalies... that's an oxymoron, isn't it?) throw the entire thing off for me. And at 2:07, the song also seems a bit short to me. However, I notice no problems with the bitrate causing audio problems, and it wasn't repetitive, so remedy the poor sample problem and the odd rhythm switching at 1:25 and this baby would earn a "Yes" from me.

NO

ok this had potential.

Right style for the right song. I used to love this game... probably still do, and this music is fresh in my memory. But the execution ain't swell here. Definitely need to work on fleshing out the harmonies (I feel like an echo here) and if I were you, I'd take a listen to more banjo music to see how the banjo is used in those songs and then emulate that style for that authentic hick feel. Anyway, it's a nice try, but:

NO

D